who are you?

at first, ethan, alexis and benny wete traveling through the halls. they talked about the usual paranormal and wondering if anything new had happened inside their school. they also talked about how they were going to defeat stern. alexis seemed upset with that topic though.

ethan soon waved and said goodbye to his friends, walking off to who they guessed would probably be sarah.

the two lovers remained in silence for a bit, alexis had grown quieter than she used to be. this confused benny, and though he wanted to ask, he didn't want to push her boundaries.

occasionally, she'd speak up about their class project. benny had chose to work with her. ethan understood and managed to grab another good partner. benny would go along with the conversation, but eventually, it would drop again.

after another class, the two left together as usual. and at first, it was quiet again, but after a few minutes alexis spoke up about something that made benny stop.

"i found bruises on my legs," she whispered, keeping eye contact ahead. she made sure only benny could hear her.

benny stopped in his tracks, cocking an eyebrow. "what?"

alexis stopped a few feet ahead before realizing. she turned around, creeping back up to him. she looked up at his eyes, her eyes glossy.

"i'm feeling weak," she muttered. she was quiet. she didn't want anyone to hear. "more than i ever did before. my vampire strength isn't kicking in. there's cuts and bruises on my legs. i'm scared, benny."

benny could feel his heart drop. he could tell how much she confided in him. he lifted his arm and pulled up the sleeve. "maybe you're thirsty, here, take some blood."

she shook her head, reaching for his arm to pull the sleeve down. "no, i already tried that. i'm just scared of not being able to protect you." she took a deep breath, giving a sad smile to the boy. "it's from the protection shield. i think i'll be fine though."

"but, lex–"

"like i said, i think i'll be fine. try not to worry about me too much, alright?" she held his hands softly, smiling brighter.

benny huffed and let go of one hand, pulling her along by the other. he pulled her outside the school, pulling her away from the school to his house.

he brought her inside, sitting her at their dining table. he pulled evelyn aside, talking to her about the girl.

"i mean, what do you want me to say, benny? she's right. it's from the protection. the extra cuts and bruises plus the pain of them are some kind of effect of it. since she was turned into a vampire, every injury she could've had since then is coming back for now. i'm not sure why or how, but all we have to do is let her heal properly."

benny removed his finger from his mouth, letting out a deep breath. "fine. i'm just.. worried about losing her."

"she'll be fine, dear."

benny turned his head slowly to look at his girlfriend. she was drawing pictures in the table with her finger. evelyn continued knitting a blanket in her chair, a light smile on her face.

benny checked a watch on his wrist before going to sit across from her. he sat down, reaching for her free hand. she took it kindly, intertwining their fingers with a cheeky grin of happiness.

"how are you always happy?" benny questioned quietly, reaching forward with his left hand to push hair behind her ear.

"smiling was something i learned to push myself with when i was younger. i didn't have the.. best childhood but i still got through it. remember that, benny, okay?" her eyes perked up, a certain shine rolling around in her eyes that gave benny a feeling in his stomach. butterflies. "if something happens to me.."