things are different

it's been a few weeks since the incident. stern was gone from the school, probably more concerned with his ball of power. benny knew eventually they'd have to go after him again, but not right now. not if he's gone.

it's been quiet at school, people have noticed benny's distress and his tired eyes. how sad he looked, how low he spoke than usual.

benny was less active in class, he was more focused on keeping track of his unconscious girlfriend.

her parents haven't heard from her in a while, they were getting worried. benny couldn't find himself replying for her, let alone even replying to his own messages. he was worried too.

benny leaned his head against his locker, huffing exhaustedly.

"hey benny." ethan approached slowly, watching benny stand up and stare at him with dead eyes. he seemed empty. benny sure felt empty.

"hey," benny groaned, opening his locker to take out one of his large science books.

"you haven't gotten any sleep.. have you?" ethan questioned, already knowing the answer though still bothered to ask to let him know he cares.

"not at all," benny answered coldly, shutting his locker and leaning against it. "not since that night."

"c'mon dude. i know how worried you must be. but you have to take care yourself too. think, what would she say if she was here?" ethan lifted an eyebrow, giving him an appealing look while clutching his bag strap.

"to sleep," benny said, a glazed look and monotoned voice.

"exactly," ethan said, smiling though no true happiness was there since he was worried. ethan tapped benny's shoulder, nodding at him before walking off past him.

benny watched him, sighing before following shortly.

--

benny sat in his class, his chin in his left hand while his right hand scribbled doodles in his journal. doodles that were random scribbles or mini animals that reminded him of alexis.

his hand slowly slipped off his paper just as his eyes drifted asleep. he could find himself falling asleep and woke himself up a few times, right before he ended up dropping his head to the desk.

he fell asleep shortly, hearing his name being called multiple times which shot him awake, his head perking up to see his teacher in front of his desk.

"yeah! hi, sorry. continue."

his teacher sighed and let him off, noticing the lack of sleep he had. clearly he wasn't doing well, and she didn't need to make it worse. "try staying awake for the rest of class, mister weir."

"yes ma'am," he stated, swallowing his random panic.

--

benny made it back home safely, opening the door just to see an empty couch. he remembered she was in the guest room.

he took his bag and tossed it aside, shutting the door behind him. he walked upstairs to his room, passing by the guest room knowing he'd break down if he stopped.

benny closed his door, falling against it and slowly wrapping his arms around his legs. he laid his head down, letting out a deep sigh.

was he changing? no, he couldn't be. right?

benny lifted his head, moving to the bed. he sat down half-heartedly, looking to his bedstand as he slipped the phone from his pocket and tossing it onto his bedside table.

his phone read the time with multiple missed calls and messages.

benny huffed and fell back onto his bed, shutting his eyes only to fall asleep shortly by accident.