Chapter Four

Started With A Lie – Chapter Four

I fall off my chair. I’m not exaggerating.

            “Hello?” he says. “Hello? Miss Ivory?”

            I grip the fabric of my jeans as I sit on the hardwood floor. I feel sweat trickling down the nape of my neck even though it’s chilly. I still can’t believe Lee Richardson is on the other line. What do I say? I think.

            “Hello? Is this the correct number?”

            I find my voice finally. “Hi.” I fumble with a hole in my jeans around my knee. “Sorry for my … foul language.” I’m referring to cursing I first said when I first realized I was talking to him. I don’t know how to speak. Should I speak formally? He isn’t even that older.

            He laughs a deep laugh. “It’s okay.”

            I swoon. His laugh sounds like angels singing. I compose myself. “Um… I’m Ivory Flores.” I get back up and sit on my chair. “How can I help you?”

            I stick with a business-like tone. He must be used to that.

            “Well, this is Lee Richardson,” he repeats. “I just want to confront you on some things that I’ve been hearing.” I freeze. “Something about… you and I stated in some sort of relationship?”

            I realize he has a small — almost unnoticeable — British accent. You can’t tell most of the time. You can only hear it on some words.

            “A-About t-that,” I stutter. “Listen, I can explain — ”

            “Can you?” he asks. He doesn’t wait for my response. “That’ll be great then. I’ve done some research and it seems you’re going on an overnight field trip tomorrow? To New York City? Am I correct, Miss Ivory?”

            “Y-Yes.” Where’s he going with this?

            “Lovely,” he says, a smile in his tone. “One of my current offices is in New York City. I will see you there.”

            I pause… for one, two, three seconds. “B-But, I can’t visit you.” I need an excuse. “I’m on a fieldtrip. My teachers would never let me wander from my group.”

            And in just that moment, Mom yells, “Ivory! Time for dinner!”

            I groan, hoping he didn’t hear.

            I hear Lee chuckle from the other side. Jerk. “I think it’s time for you to go, Ivory.” I squeeze my eyes in embarrassment. “And to answer you, I will speak to your school board. I think there will be an exception for this situation. And if not, I shall visit you personally.”

            “But — ”

            The line goes dead. I stare at my phone. He just hung up on me. Rude much? Then again, I kind of spread rumors about him, I think as I flip my phone shut and toss it on my bed. I pull my blonde hair up into a bun and head down to the kitchen where Mom is stirring a bowl of something steaming. It smells delicious enough.

            “Hey, Mom,” I say. I see a chopping board with uncut vegetables and decide to help her. I start to chop some onions and potatoes.

            “Oh hey, honey.” She turns to me. “Oh, thanks. Didn’t think I’d have enough time to cut those.” Mom turns back to put some onions in the steaming pot.