Chapter Eight

Started With a Lie – Chapter Eight

It’s been a while. It’s been a long while. I haven’t seen Lee for weeks now. I’ve gotten back from New York City and everything is back to normal. It’s almost boring. But, I shouldn’t say that and risk jinxing things. Today’s the last day before winter break. Winter came so fast this year.

            I rest my chin on my palm and watch my biology teacher write notes on the board we’re supposed to copy. Mrs. Tee is, of course, the only teacher who would treat the last day before break like any other day. All the other teachers gave us a free period, but not Mrs. Tee.

            Scribbling down the notes, I hear the watch on my left hand ticking. Ever since I got back, I’ve been so dull. Lifeless. I didn’t even care about Karen or Peter—a first in my book. I don’t know why.

            “Okay, class!” Mrs. Tee yells, setting the marker down from the board. “That’s all for today. Good job on the notes. Be safe during the break.” The bell starts ringing and everyone shuffles out of his or her seats.

            I pack up slowly and walk into the crowded hallway. Everyone is either smiling or laughing, eager for winter break. I guess I’m eager, too. I don’t have to talk to anyone for one and a half weeks. I get to my locker, dump my books in, and swing my backpack over my shoulder before finding Candy.

            “Oh, hey Ivory,” she greets me when I get to her. “It’s finally winter break! You want to go shopping later?”

            I’m not really in the mood. I’m never in the mood.

            “Uh, sorry, not today.” I give an apologetic smile. “How about tomorrow or something? We could meet up, go watch a movie or something.”

            Candy nods. “That sounds great.”

            We head outside and tighten our jackets for the freezing temperature. Early snow is falling gently from the air. I feel some snowflakes land on my hair. People are getting into their cars and pulling out of school. I have to keep in mind to be careful of the slippery roads.

            I hate winter.

            Most people love it—the hot chocolate, the piles and piles of snow, and snuggling with their loved ones. I hate it. Yeah, those things sound great, but what about waking up early just to walk outside in the freezing weather just to clean up your car and shovel the driveway?

            Maybe, I was just a bitter person. I wrap my scarf around my neck to protect myself from the cold. I definitely don’t want to be sick over break.

            Not that it matters.

            “I’ll see you later, then?” Candy smiles. Her brown hair is in a side braid around her neck. Candy’s face seems to be glowing. And then I realize it. I didn’t even think about my best friend. I was indulged in my own problems that I pushed my own best friend out. I haven’t even asked her about Kevin—her boyfriend. I’m a horrible friend.

            “Wait, Candy,” I say, grabbing her elbow before she leaves.    

            “Yeah?” she says.

            “Maybe you could come over later and we could watch Mean Girls over again?” I suggest. It isn’t fair for Candy—who’s always been there for me—for me to just be there for her when I need her.