Chapter Nineteen

Started With a Lie – Chapter Nineteen

When I wake, I’m in a car. It’s my own. I look around and sit up. I’m in the backseat while Mark drives and Lee sits in the passenger seat. He’s looking outside the window, trying to stay farthest away from Mark as possible. Mark just seems chirpy and happy to be driving.

            “Guys?” I say, rubbing my head. “What happened?”

            They both snap their heads to me. “You’re awake!” they both cry, and then turn to each other and glare. And then I realize Mark’s pretty much about to kill us.

            “Mark!” I scold. I point to the wheel. “Pay attention to the road!”

            “What?” he says at first and then his eyes widen. “Right!” He turns and starts driving properly. And then he answers, “Well, you kind of fainted at the hospital and since the doctor said you needed some deep rest, we’re taking you home.”

            “But I want to stay with my mom.” I sounded so immature.

            This time Lee speaks. “It’s not like they’d let you see her. You can’t see her until tomorrow when they get her completely stable. Besides, get some sleep and rest.” He gestures outside. “It’s late already. It’s been a long day.”

            He’s right. The sky is a river of stars and the moon is shining up bright.

            “What about your cars?” I ask. Did they leave both of their cars at the hospital? That was sweet and all but they didn’t have to do that. I mean, I’m not the one dying. I could drive myself. I didn’t need two boys to respond to my every beck and call. “What if someone steals them? Or if the city tows them.”

            They both wave their hands carelessly.

               “I can call my driver,” Lee says. “I’m sure Mark can get home.”

                The car pulls up the driveway of my house and Mark shuts off the engine. I get up and stretch before opening the door and getting out. I remind myself to call Brent later. I bet my own brother doesn’t even know about Mom being in the hospital yet. I don’t want to be the one to tell him. But he has the right to know.

            “Thanks for being here,” I say to Mark when I reach him. “You really helped me get through this.” It’s true. I would’ve probably drowned in my tears.

            Mark puts his hands on both my shoulders. “Listen, it’s fine. I’m glad you’re okay for now. Your mother will be fine. She’s strong like you.” He squeezes my shoulders. “And even if you do need anything, I’ll be right next door.”

            I place my hand over his on my shoulder. “Thank you.”

            “Wait!” Lee cries. He comes up to us and pushes Mark and I apart, leaving a good amount of empty space between us. “What did he mean?” he asks me. His face is scrunched up, his eyebrows knitted together.

            “Yes? Can I help you?” I spit out, ripping Lee’s hand off my arm in which he pushed. I rub the spot. I don’t know why I’m so angry and disgusted by Lee—oh yeah, he basically played my feelings and has a fiancé.

            “What does he mean?” Lee asks. “He lives next door?”

            “Yes,” Mark smirks. “I do.”