Chapter Fifty-Seven

Chapter Fifty-Seven

Before I get the call that ruins my life, I feel like my life is finally changing for the better.

"Let's go," Lee says standing with his arm outstretched, empty palm waiting. He has the, previously heavy but now light, wine bottle in the other. He's like a dark knight in his black suit and solemn face. At times, his patience is a spectacle to marvel at. "Can't disappear from my own party this year...again."

I take his hand, pulling myself up. "You're right. Wouldn't want to keep people waiting. any longer." A thought enters my mind. "Oh my god, Daniel." I pick up the bottom of my dress. "I have to go. I completely forgot." Within a second, I am running as fast and as stable as I can half-drunk and in heels. I barely have a chance to see Lee's reaction.

The room feels the same as I had previously left it, but I barely can process the probable amount of time I've disappeared. I begin to shift throughout the crowd, standing on my toes even though I am wearing heels with my head turning every which way looking for a certain boy. I search nearly every part of the crowd. A sweaty ten minutes later of just moving around between bodies and conversations, I lean against one of the walls defeated. A waiter holding glasses of champagne walk by and I snag a drink, sipping an incredible amount from the tall glass.

"Ivory!" I know it's Daniel before I even see him. I turn around to his voice which comes from my left.

"Daniel! Hey," I say. What else do I say? Sorry I disappeared for like an hour?

"Where have you been?" he says, jogging up to me. He is a little out of breath but mostly sounds concerned rather than upset. He presses a worried hand to his forehead. "I thought you might've left or something. I know you haven't felt your best. And I know my words...." Daniel looks at me for any reaction. I stand still as if it'll hide my emotions. He finally just says, "They're a lot to handle."

I purse my lips. Everything seems clearer yet so confusing. "I..."

His eyebrows perk up and he walks closer. "Yeah?"

The gentle music in the room suddenly halts. The only sound is a spoon hitting the side of a champagne glass. Everyone pauses before turning their attention to Lee, who stands in the front of the room with a cupcake in front of him. The intricately designed cupcake has a single candle that has a small flame emitting from it. All eyes are on him.

"I just want to thank everyone for coming again to yet again another birthday bash of mine. Yes, I know. They're starting to get annoying," he jokes, causing the crowd to erupt in soft chuckles. "I mean, who doesn't like dressing up, free food and champagne, and a night out in the town? I certainly don't." Laughter booms across the room again. If they only knew how serious he is. "And thank you to those who stayed home, picking their bed and the latest TV drama over me. Either way, I am getting old again. To the pursuit of life and happiness! May we all remain young at heart. Cheers!"

On his account, the crowd all raise their glasses and chorus "Cheers!" as they laugh and smile at his shenanigans and joy for the night. I raise my glass in a strange proud, happy moment. I stare at Lee in delight. He blows the candle and everyone begins clapping as servers spread around in a manicured fashion with cupcake trays.

"Ivory, where were you?" Daniel asks, gently pressing my arm.

I glance at him quickly before watching Lee smile and take a bite of his cupcake. "I was..." The cupcake is chocolate and smears his upper lip. I find myself smiling big at that. Lee suddenly locks eyes with me and grins, chocolate mess and all.

"Ivory?" Daniel's stern voice snaps me out of my daze. I face the man in front of me. What was he saying? "I asked where you went. I was worried, that's all."