Chapter Fifty-Six

(A/N: Yes! It's finally here. I know half of you wanna kiss me and most of you wanna kill me. Also, yes, I do know it's been nearly a year. I was going to recap but just read bc I've put my version of a recap in there. My poor excuses for not writing for so long are at the end. ALSO, the song goes along with Lee and Ivory's conversation/relationship. Enjoy!)

Chapter Fifty-Six

As soon as I see him, the conversation between Daniel and I is over, along with whatever intimate moment of before because in front of me is Lee Richardson.

          Every time I see him, he's different. This time his hair has grown, dirty-blond locks curling at the nape of his neck, the front gelled back. He's in a jet black suit, a deep blue bow-tie around his neck. It compliments him so well, especially the bow-tie that amplifies the bright blue of his eyes. In his hands are two glasses of champagne and the gleam of an expensive looking watch.

         His face is baffled as if he's surprised I'm here.

            "Happy birthday, Lee," I say. I have no clue how I manage to find my voice to speak like my heart isn't ready to fall out of my chest.

        His eyes sink into me, down me, and quickly back up before they can linger. He shakes off his confused look—What did he expect? He invited me—and forces a smile. "Thank you," he says, sounding just as calm. His eyes flick to Daniel and back to me. "Good to see you again, Ivory."

           Daniel, oblivious, grins at Lee. "Happy birthday, dude! Honored to be here."

          Lee nods. He doesn't look as angry as months ago, but still, he could try harder. And in that thought, I realize I haven't seen Lee in months. Which is insane. Flashes of our past blink in my head. How could all that change in just a few months?

        "You guys sure are weird," Daniel comments. "You're so close and yet you guys don't hug or anything. Come on, Ivory. Don't be rude." He nudges me with his elbow.

             I look at Daniel and scoff. "Oh, pfft, you know Lee and I. We're just so close we don't need to hug or anything." I pat the area of my chest above my heart. "Our bond is here."

           Lee looks agitated at my comment, a twitch of his eyebrow signifying his anger. I know his cues. I used to know them...so well. "Quite so," he says. He pauses. "Well, if that's all...I have some business to attend to, if you don't mind."

           "Nope, go ahead," I say immediately.

         "Good," he replies.

            He turns without a second glance. And with him, it's like the atmosphere around me disappears to and I am back into my dark, sulking hole. Sad enough, the past few days, I've felt nothing. Drowning under blankets and bottles of vodka and sleep, I had been doing such a good job of erasing myself. Making myself numb. I was so close to disappearing.

            "Ivory? Ivory?"

           I snap out of my haze. Daniel is talking to me, his hand delicately brushing up on my upper arm. It reminds me of the moment that had been occurring moments before. His...words. I feel like he is about to address them again. Shit.

          "Uh," I say, backing up slowly. "I'm thirsty. I'll be right back. You want a drink? Yeah? Hold on a second." I slip out, quicker than I thought I ever could, backing slowly and then throwing myself between strangers before he can stop me. His face is hurt again. I need to stop doing this.