Chapter Ten

Started With a Lie – Chapter Ten

It sinks in. Everything sinks in, finally. I didn’t see it coming. I never would’ve seen this coming. Lee almost kissed me. And the fact that I actually enjoyed it scares me more than anything else. It sinks in that I have feelings for Lee. Last time I liked someone; my best friend stabbed me in the back.

            What will happen this time?

            Lee doesn’t even feel the same. Does he? No, he couldn’t. Out of all the beautiful and rich girls, he couldn’t like me. He has a company to run and he needs someone strong and beautiful—someone not me. He probably tried kissing me because of the spur of the moment.

            It’s been twenty minutes. The electricity has turned back on but I’ve been sitting on the white-tiled kitchen floor for twenty minutes. I’m a coward. How am I supposed to face Lee?

            My face is in my hands and my back is against the fridge. Why did I tell Lee I had to go feed my cat? I don’t even have a cat. I wonder if Lee’s still standing in the living room, or if he left. He couldn’t have. There’s a storm. Wait, what if my rejection caused him to angrily storm out?

            Worried, I get up and dash to the living room only to find Lee sleeping peacefully on the couch with the fireplace still crackling with fire. He looks so calm and serene. It fills me up with regret. I should’ve let him kiss me before I ran away.

            It’s not too late, a voice in the back of my head says. I push that thought away. I don’t want to violate him while he’s sleeping. That’d be creepy.

            But he looks so tempting to touch.

            He looks young when he’s sleeping. The crease on his forehead that’s always there is gone. His face is acne-free and has better complexion than mine. I don’t realize I’m brushing his hair away from his eyes until his eyebrow twitches.

            I pull back immediately. It would be so awkward if he wakes up at this moment. I owe him a kiss. He took all the courage to try to kiss me and I just shot him down and ran away. Besides, he’s unconscious. No harm done.

            Taking a gulp, I slowly inch my face to his. His head is turned the other way so I take his face in my face and give him a quick peck. I smile mischievously. I feel so badass.

            His eyes suddenly open. I smack his face. Lee shouts in pain and jolts up. I gasp, covering my own mouth in surprise.

      “Why did you hit me?!” he yells, clutching his cheek from the red mark that’s starting to form under his hand.

        “Um, m-mosquito,” I shrug. Lee gives me a strange look—maybe a glare—as if he’s actually challenging the idea that I really hit him because a mosquito was on his face. “You’re welcome,” I add.

         “For what?!”

     “Saving your blood from being sucked,” I reply nonchalantly. “Now, come on. Get up. Let’s eat some dinner.” It’s back. There’s no awkwardness. We’re back to the way it was before the whole candlelight scene. Lee’s back to his cold, rich douche demeanor, and I’m back to the girl who hates him. I’m glad. I’d hate it to be any other way.

        I walk to the kitchen with Lee hot on my heels, still rubbing his cheek. Maybe, I shouldn’t have hit him that hard. He mutters something about when the lights had came back on. I glance over at him. His hair is all messed up. I didn’t notice before but he’s wearing his suit. Of course, I think as I roll my eyes. He just can’t wear anything else.