Chapter Five

Started With a Lie – Chapter Five

“This is my suite,” Lee announces, his left hand in mid-air indicating to two double doors. I trail my eyes from his hand to his expensive looking suit to his baby blue eyes—which I’m very jealous of. He opens the doors and I follow behind him with my bags in my hands.

            “Um, nice suite you’ve got here,” I say awkwardly as I look around. Everything looks so high-class. It feels as if I move more than an inch, something expensive—like the glass vases on each table—will randomly shatter. There’s even a freaking chandelier! I scream in my head. And it’s just a suite!

            “Thank you,” he says, eyeing me suspiciously as if he’s expecting me to grab something expensive and run. “Follow me.” He starts walking without even waiting for me. Such a gentleman, I think sarcastically. I leave my bags near the entrance and try to go catch up to Lee without getting lost.

            My sneakers squeak against the marble floor of the suite.

            I must be crazy for wearing disgusting sneakers with a skirt. Hey, at least I look nice… but obviously not nice enough after looking at his suite. It feels as if the air I breathe is more expensive than everything I own.

            I suddenly realize we’re in the kitchen. There’s a large white table covered in a silk tablecloth with matching chairs. A stove and other kitchen things are on the side of the wall. Everything looks so elegant.

            “Take a seat.” His voice sends chills through me. I’ll never get used to it.

               He is already sitting at the head of the table, so I decide to sit at one of his sides. I’m nervous. I resist the urge to bite my nails—a habit Mom constantly lectures me to stop. What will he say? Will he kick me out after and make me sleep on the streets?

                “So, I’m ready for your explanation,” Lee says. His nice, charming appearance is gone. His eyes are dead set onto mine. “Why would you start these rumors?”

           “Um, it’s really complicated.” I stare at my bare legs, looking anywhere but him.

             “What? Are you a gold digger? Do you want money? I’ve had tons of girls like you—making stupid rumors for money.” His tone is harsh. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out three hundred-dollar bills and then sets it on the table. “Is this enough? You’re what? Sixteen, seventeen? This should be enough for someone your age.”

           Wow. His personality changed quickly. Even though it’s my fault everything’s happened—I can’t help but feel angry. “No, I’m not a gold-digger,” I say calmly as I can. I push back his money.

           He looks strangely confused—which is a cute look for him, but I push that thought away. I’m supposed to be mad. “Then what? Are you going to blackmail me?”

         “No,” I say through gritted teeth. “Just let me explain.”

                  “I’m listening.”

              I’m going to tell him straight out. “I need you for something.” He raises his eyebrow. “I need you to make my friend jealous. I know I sound completely ridiculous, but I didn’t intend for this to happen. Your name just randomly slipped out of my mouth when she asked me if I had a boyfriend—you know, because I saw you in a magazine earlier. I know I sound crazy.”