One Big Fucking Bouncey House

Well, for starters, Hopah had dyed her hair purple, was roughly Korra's height and build, and always had a smirk on her face (like she was going to prank someone). Sure, Hopah was pretty. But this girl? Oh man, she could have made it big in the mover industry.

She was really tall, slim, and held herself with the grace of a princess. Her jet black hair curled in all the right places and shined with the perfection only achieved by a master hair stylist. And boy, could she wear make-up. Korra wondered what flavor her lipstick was. Her jacket was red and black, embedded with the Future-Industries logo. She stared into green eyes that reminded her of a sour apple flavored sucker.

To put it plain and simple, this girl looked amazing.

"Hey there," she said with a sly smile. "My name's Asami. Asami Sato. I guess we're going to be bunkmates this summer."

Korra snapped out of whatever trance this girl was putting her in.

"Uh, hi. I-it's nice to meet you, I'm K-korra."

Korra shook hands with Asami. Her hands weren't soft, like the Water Tribe girl had been expecting, but calloused and scarred.

"So, you're not new to this camp?"

Asami shook her head, "No, this is my third summer."

"Holy shit!"

Korra probably shouldn't have said that. What if Asami wasn't cool with swearing? It was just... damn son! Three years of this bullshit? How gay was this girl?!

But Asami simply nodded, "Yeah, I made the mistake of coming out to my dad a few years back... he didn't take it too well. He just sends me every summer so that he doesn't have to worry about me while he goes off and does business meetings and shit. I don't think he actually believes in the whole 'Camp Amon' act."

"That's gotta be expensive," Korra said with a whistle.

Asami winced. Maybe money was a sensitive subject with her family too?

"It doesn't matter to him."

The girls stayed up for two hours talking. Asami told Korra about her mother's death, and in turn Korra told her about all of her family trouble. About Hopah and Unalaq. It felt good to get it out.

"So what's the scoop on the counselors? That Kuvira chick seems pretty lax."

Asami shrugged, "I think this is her first year on staff. But she knows the place pretty well. She probably came here as a kid."

"Are all of the counselors also former campers?"

"No. But most of them are. I can count the ones who were born straight on one hand."

"Damn."

"Yeah," Asami chuckled, "This place is one big fucking bouncy house."

Well said, Sato. Well said.

Light's out was at 10:00, and the counselor assigned to check on cabin 16B was Zhu Li. She came in, making sure Korra and Asami weren't doing anything against the rules. Even though they had searched everyone a only few hours ago, Zhu Li still checked under the beds and made the girls open their suitcases. Once she was satisfied, she put a smiley sticker on a chart near the door.

"Good night girls," she said with a soft smile. She adjusted her glasses and straightened her shirt. "Flag is at 6:30 and breakfast is at 6:45."

She left with a sharp and dignified posture.

"I wonder what her story is," Korra whispered.

"She seems close with Varrick, but this is a first summer for both of them. Bolin too," Asami whispered back.