Me Neither

Korra leaned back against the signpost she was sitting near, "What's there to say? My family was too poor to take care of me, so I grew up with my Uncle Unalaq in the North."

"And how do you feel about this?"

"How do you think?" Korra snapped back. "I hate it up there. I had no friends except for the girl I got caught making out with by my Uncle."

"Did your parents send you up there?"

"Yeah. Where else could I go?"

"Surely they had friends you could live with."

Korra's throat felt dry all of a sudden. Tenzin. She could have gone to live with Tenzin and his family. She'd known them her whole life... but...

"My Mom and Dad said I was safe up in the North," Korra said, shaking the thought out of her head.

"Hmmm, I think we've only scratched the surface," Tarrlok said with a smirk. "Did your parents ever ask you what you wanted?"

"No. I was only ten years old."

"So you didn't even get a voice. Hmm."

"What's your fucking point?"

"Mind your tongue, girl. Your bratty attitude is probably a product of the situation as well."

"What are you trying to say, Tarrlok?" Korra asked accusingly.

"Tell me, did you have any friends in the South pole?"

"Yeah. I had tons of friends. My best friend was my polar bear dog, Naga."

Tarrlok's eyes narrowed. "I think I have it figured out."

"What?"

"Your parents sent you away from a happy childhood. You had friends and family. Why, you even had a pet dog! But they sent you to live with your Uncle in the North without your input on the matter. There were better places to send you, weren't there?"

Tarrlok leaned forward.

"You grew up without friends. You had to take all that anger and loneliness, and put it somewhere, didn't you? A homosexual spirit can only enter our soul when we are at our lowest. You must've been an easy target. Family issues, no friends, being stuck in an unfamiliar place instead of with your parents, your cousins teasing you—"

"How did you know my cousins teased me? I never said that."

Tarrlok's eyes widened as he realized his mistake.

"Got you now, fucker. You've been talking to Unalaq," Korra thought with a smirk.

"It was an assumption," he said casually, though the girl saw through the lie.

Before he could devise some sick skit for them to reenact, though, the lunch bell rang. All thirty campers (excited to get away from the horrifying all-camp activity) sprang up and walked to the dining hall. Tarrlok grabbed Korra's arm.

"I'm not finished with you."

"Yeah, yeah. Save it for someone who gives a shit, ponytails," she said, walking towards her friends with a big grin on her face.

"The old Korra is back, bitches."

—————

"Called it," Asami said, sitting down at the table.

"Called what?" Korra asked.

"Engineering is what makes me a homosexual. Every single time."

"And yet you keep coming back for more," Wu pointed out.