IT'S THE MIDTERM?!

You know that feeling when you're dreaming and you feel like your fall— and then all of a sudden you wake up? Or when the carnival ride suddenly drops? That was Asami's heart right now.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Follow me," Kuvira whispered quietly.

Now we've done it. She's going to take us to Tarrlok and Noatak and we're going to fucking die.

Korra's arm was still over Asami's shoulder as they hopped behind Kuvira.

"What's wrong with her?" the counselor asked Asami without looking back.

"She tripped. Her ankle's twisted."

Kuvira turned and glared between the two of them with narrowed eyes and then suddenly moved to grab Korra's other arm and support the Water Tribe girl.

Asami thought that they were heading towards the Brother's house, but then Kuvira took a sharp turn and they walked up the steps of the main building. Kuvira opened a door to a classroom and they slipped inside. They sat Korra down at a desk.

"Help me get a look at this," Badgermole whispered to the engineer.

They tentatively pulled Korra's shoe and sock off. Her right foot was swollen and red.

"Fuck, dude."

"That's all you have to say, Kuvira?"

"Shut it, Twinkletoes. I'm going to grab a first aid kit and some ice."

She left them there. Asami was 100% sure that this wasn't standard protocol for when Camp Staff caught two members of the same sex together.

Within three minutes, Kuvira had returned.

"Hold this to your ankle," she said to Korra, passing an ice pack to her.

Kuvira sat down on one of the desks, looking like a teacher. Her hair was down and she looked out of Camp Amon's character— wearing jeans and a heavy coat. Huh. You would think she'd be in pajamas.

"Now, do you want to tell me the real story?"

Asami looked at the carpet sheepishly and Korra just stared at her ankle with a blank expression. They were refusing to address the elephant-koi in the room.

"I followed you in the woods, you know. Once you had left the shack. It was pretty fucking clear what you two were up to."

She never swears.

Asami glanced up at Kuvira, whose green eyes had some sort of... softness. But then she leaned forwards with a stern expression. A spike of fear raced through Asami's heart.

"Look, guys. Do you understand what rules you've broken?"

The two girls nodded without making eye contact— as though they could put out the shit-storm that was about to hit them.

Instead of berating them, Kuvira swatted Korra's hand (the one holding the ice pack) and let out an exasperated sigh. She knelt down— tightly bandaging up the girl's ankle. The anxiety was getting to Asami, and she nervously stood there fidgeting with her hoodie.

"Here."

Kuvira handed Korra some Ibuprofen and a Dixie cup of water. The girl gratefully took the medicine.

"You're going to want to sleep with that foot elevated. Use a pillow or two."

"Um... alright."

"You can't be seen together alone again. Why don't you go first, Korra? The coast should be clear."