Shut Up and Dance with Me

There was something going on between Asami and Korra— Mako was sure of that much. They glanced at each other the way... well, you know. Once in a while one of them would say something and the other would turn red. And Mako saw them holding hands under the table at breakfast when he went to get a refill of orange juice. It was really cute, actually. That they cared about each other enough to risk everything? That was really admirable.

If it weren't for Wu and Korra and Asami, Mako would have broken out. He would have been MIA. But... they made this place a little less horrible and a little more bearable each day. He'd had friends before, sure, but the more time he spent with the group— the more he realized what "friends" really were.

"Today's lesson is focused on growing up in a house without traditional gender roles," Noatak said from the stage. "Remember to bring your journal to take notes."

Mako's grip on his journal increased. That was his only outlet— a safe place where he could write poetry and no one judged him. The others thought that all Mako liked to do was sports, but that wasn't true. He really liked writing. No— he really loved poems.

There wasn't any sort of library at Camp Amon, and when the counselors first went through all of Mako's stuff they took away all of his poetry books— claiming that it was too feminine. Fuck them.

"Hey, are you okay?" Wu asked softly.

Mako snapped back into reality and nodded his head, "Yeah."

Wu raised an eyebrow, but didn't press the matter.

"Are we in the classroom today, Badgermole?" Korra asked with a piece of bacon in her mouth.

"We'll all be on the lawn. It's another all-camp activity."

"And here I was thinking today was actually going to be decent," Asami said with a scowl.

Mako stood up, "I'm going to get some more pancakes."

He weaved his way through the tables and walked into the kitchen. Bolin was flipping a new batch of fresh hotcakes.

"Hey there, Mako. What can I do for you?" he asked.

Mako squeezed past two kitchen staff and held up his plate, "I'm just grabbing a refill."

"A man's not a man without his pancakes!" Bolin chuckled.

He slapped three pancakes onto the plate, but before Mako could walk out Bolin tapped his hand twice.

How are you doing?

Mako gave him a small smile

I'm doing okay.

Bolin squeezed his shoulder.

I love you.

Mako nodded.

I love you too, bro.

He walked back to the main dining area and sat down with a weight off of his chest.

                               —————

"That's silly. My mom was the co-founder of Future Industries, and she was straight. Owning a business doesn't make you gay!" Asami frowned. "Talk about making shit up as you go along!"

"It's a combination of things, Asami," Noatak explained patiently. "Your father didn't control you, and you had free roam of the workshop. Incorrect gender roles will confuse the mind— weakening it and allowing for the homosexual spirit to wander in."

The group chose to sit together this time, in Noatak's group, rather than put up with Tarrlok any more than they already had to. More for Mako and Korra's sake than anything else. The teens all nervously picked and pulled at the grass while Noatak and Asami had their debate.