FOOL ME TWICE

"This is a bad idea, right?"

When Kira whispered to her boyfriend, she clutched his hand tightly in fear.

He glanced at her briefly before looking back at the rest of them. Each one was on alert and ready to attack, weapons in hand or claws at the ready.

"It's the only idea," he reminded.

"No, it's a bad idea," a voice interjected.

As they rounded the corner of trees, they reached a clearing. In the middle of the empty space was Maia casually sitting on the nemeton.

As they came into view, she straightened up and stood. She waited until they were all within view before speaking.

She looked directly at Argent, "Your little emitter things were annoying."

She pulled one of the silver devices out from behind her back. The silver was broken in half with crushed glass missing from the top.

"I hope it wasn't expensive," she said insincerely, tossing it back to him. She crossed her arms, "Let's make this quick. I've got traps to set and people to kill so..."

They narrowed their eyes at her. Derek stepped forward calmly in a last attempt at peace.

"Maia, I know you're in there."

She scoffed and an amused smile stretched across her face. She sympathetically looked at him, "You're even more of a hopeless fool than I thought. You keep thinking that love will save the day and conquer all."

She gestured towards the rest of the pack as an example.

"But you don't know that she's got so much anger and pain that it overpowers any semblance of emotion."

"She's strong," he argued.

"She's not capable of saving you if she can't even save herself."

That's when Derek knew the real Maia was in trouble. The nogitsune in her body was overwhelming her and she was running out of time.

As soon as he glanced back at Lydia, the girl took a deep breath. Everyone covered their ears as a scream shook the woods around them.

The wind was blown in a whirlwind. Leaves picked up from the ground and erratically flew through the air.

But as Lydia's scream died down to silence, they noticed that Maia hadn't even flinched. She was frozen in her spot, standing straight up.

She smirked and her eyes sparkled evilly. She casually sauntered closer to the banshee, making Lydia tremble in her spot.

"I thought you might try that again," she sighed, "So I stole a few more things from Argent's armory."

She tucked her hair behind her ears and pulled out two earbuds from her ears. She held them up for their viewing.

"Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice..."

All of them looked up in panic. Derek saw her eyes start to glow red. He took the moment to tackle her down.

They grappled with each other away from the rest of the group. Stiles pulled Lydia behind him as the werewolves protectively stood in front of them.

Maia quickly pushed Derek off but didn't leave him alone. He tried to push himself back up but she pressed the heel of her boot down on his chest.

"Stop," he panted.

"You'll have to kill me first."

He growled and grabbed her ankle. He violently jerked it to the side, the bone breaking. She screamed in anguish as he pushed her off and rolled away.

She fell to her knee as he got up. But as soon as he was within her reach, she clutched his wrist and brought him back down to her level.

She wrapped a hand around his throat and dug her claws in. There wasn't any hesitance or second thoughts. All she focused on was killing him and getting rid of the inconvenience.

As blood started to drop down his throat, his eyes flickered behind her. She caught the motion and turned her head.

She only caught a glimpse of the figure before they dug their claws into the back of her neck. She instantly felt pain shock her body.

She let go of Derek and went rigid. Her eyes widened as Peter held her up by the shoulders.

He was shaking too. The mind delving effect was hurting him as well. He only spent a second trying to reach her brain before he felt immense pain in his own mind.

He pulled away and retracted his claws, falling back. Maia gasped but her body stayed straight. Her eyes filled with a genuine sense of shock.

Her body finally fell to the side. She landed on the ground unconscious.

A few of the others ran forward. Scott helped Derek stand back up while Stiles and Lydia checked on the girl.

"What did you do to her?" Stiles asked Peter angrily.

The man glared and rubbed his temples. He flashed a sarcastic smile, "I'm fine, thanks for asking."

He picked himself up and brushed off his pants, "And I didn't do anything. It was Maia."

"What do you mean?" Scott asked.

"Her mind is being guarded. A nogitsune could get through but not a werewolf like me," he explained.

"It's Maia's way of holding off the dark spirit," Lydia realized. She kneeled next to the girl's body and brushed the hair out of her face.

Derek tried to help them move her into Stiles' Jeep but Scott argued with him. He claimed that he was too hurt to do anything.

But he insisted on sitting with her in the car, which they allowed him to do. Lydia and Stiles sat in the front while Derek gently cradled Maia's body in the backseat.

Before they left the woods, Scott made sure they were well equipped to handle her. Argent gave them a taser and wolfsbane tranq darts.

"I'll take her to my house," Stiles said, "We might have a better chance of getting through to her if she's in the most familiar place."

Derek nodded in agreement, "We better do this quickly. If her condition is getting worse-"

"She'll die a slow and painful death," Peter interrupted.

They turned to glare at him but he just shrugged sheepishly,

"Just trying to be helpful."

---