LACROSSE REFERENCE

"She's awake."

"And as annoying as ever."

The pack glanced back at Liam and Malia as they entered the kitchen to update them. They all walked back out to the living room where Maia was chained to a chair in the middle of the room.

Derek looked up from his spot across from her. He stood up to stand side by side with Scott and Stiles. They inspected her with critical eyes.

She met them with a taunting smirk and mischievous eyes. Her expression made two out of the three nervous.

"Uh...Scott, Derek, side bar," Stiles whispered.

He pulled the two back into the kitchen. He gestured for the rest of the pack to listen in as well.

"Any idea what we're doing here?" he asked simply, clapping his hands together.

Scott shrugged, "Peter said there was a barrier around her mind. Maybe if we break it, we can get through to her."

"How do we do that?" Liam asked.

Lydia's eyes lit up. She pointedly looked at Stiles, "Certain objects and places hold special memories. That's why we brought her here in the first place."

"Because it's her home," he elaborated.

She nodded, "So maybe we can find something that's special to her. Is there something in her room?"

Derek stepped up, "She doesn't have a lot of personal items but maybe she hid something. I'll help you look."

The pair nodded in agreement before rushing up the stairs to her room. Maia briefly glanced at them as they passed.

"Is anyone else concerned that she's just sitting there?" Malia asked.

They looked back into the other room to see Maia intently listening. She winked and waved her hand as much as she could.

"Will those hold her?" Liam asked, gesturing towards the chains.

"It should. But just in case, Argent went over to Deaton's to get more mountain ash," Scott reassured, "Meanwhile, we have to take shifts on watching her while we figure things out."

He turned to look at his best friend. Stiles caught his suggestion and shook his head vigorously. He stuttered for an excuse.

"Besides Derek, you're the closest one to her," Scott argued, "Plus you know what she's going through."

"It's not like I'd be talking to Maia. I'd be talking to the manipulative, tricky bastard inside of her!"

"But Maia could hear you."

Stiles sighed in defeat and slumped. He lightly glared at Scott before turning to his girlfriend for reassurance. Malia sent him a soft smile as he snatched up his bat.

When he reentered the living room, he sat across from her on the chair Derek had pulled up. He laid his bat in his lap and sat straight.

Their eyes met an challenge each other. Stiles was inwardly afraid but he had the strangest feeling of confidence. He knew that Maia was within reach now.

"Maia, I know you can hear me."

She rolled her eyes.

"And I know you're trying to fight. I'm here to help you."

"She doesn't need help," she snapped, "Don't you get it, Stiles? The power that I offer her makes sure that she never gets hurt again. She's finally free of all the pain of her past."