036

mikki

mikki

it was a beautiful day. perfect, some would venture. the sky was a blank, stretching shade of blue you only ever saw in stock images, the trees shivered happily with a slight, cool breeze rippling through lamp posts and bushes. there was an excited buzz on the bus and the slight tension before a dance competition.

even in my guilt about the aldc, i felt the rush i always did as we walked into the change rooms. a familiar, pleasantly anxious feeling, a mix of adrenaline, exhilaration, nerves and resolution.

"ready?" connor asked, already costumed.

i grinned at him. "born ready."

⤎⎼༌·⋱🩰⋰⋆༌⎼⤏

"let's welcome mikki gray to the stage, performing the hostage!"

for the first time since starting at the aldc, i felt completely and utterly in control. this was easy, this was simply...breathing. one foot in front of the other. i was in control of my body, of my emotion, of everything around me. and it felt dizzying. in my wave of happiness however, the pit of my stomach twisted and turned.

oh, it's fine. enjoy this moment. it's not like your best friends are still stressed and strained at all!

and so i walked off, feeling far less confident than i usually did, but i don't think anyone noticed, since i was meant to be emotionless anyways.

"yay mikki!" connor cheered, cuffing me around my head. i smiled and leaned into his hug.

"did i do good?"

"you were incredible."

"thanks."

he left. i was grateful. i sat down on a wooden block and watched the girl on stage, who was wearing a sparkly pink dress with black jazz shoes.

"hey."

i froze. the light glanced off one of the girl's sequins and blinded me for a split second. that voice. that voice.

no. there's no way, you must be hallucinating. get yourself together and answer whoever-

"mikki, are you going to stare at that girl on stage or are you going to say hi?"

it was him.

before i could even try to control myself, and put on a show of being completely calm, i had thrown my arms around his neck.

"brady!"

he laughed and patted me on the back. "hi mikki mouse."

he didn't sound mad at all. either way, i still had to explain myself.

"i'm sorry, it's just that my head wasn't in it and i wasn't really dancing my best. i promise i didn't want to leave you guys, i-"

"mikki!"

"wanted to go and actually dance, like really, you know? like before and-"

"mikki!" he interrupted, shouting over the top of me. i shut my mouth and stared up at him. "it's fine. you don't need to explain. i just wanted to come and say hi."

that's when i noticed he was holding a handful of flowers. bright gerberas and roses, neatly wrapped in brown tissue paper. some of the flowers looked a little crumpled, i must have crushed them when i hugged him.

"are those for me?" i asked, looking at them.

"no, they're for connor," brady answered, holding them out. i wasn't expecting that and my face had fallen. "oh you idiot. of course they're for you!"

"thanks brady," i said, truthfully, "thanks for coming."

he suddenly looked very awkward. "yeah. i mean, you're welcome. you did well. on stage, not..." he trailed off, the tips of his ears pink.

"mikaela," hayden, a girl on the club dance team tapped me on the shoulder, "you're wanted in the dressing rooms. who's this?"

"oh, um, i'm mikki's...friend," brady said, looking like he wasn't completely sure what he wanted to do with his hands.

"well, for being a friend, you two are standing awfully close," hayden commented. this time, i felt the heat on my cheeks as well. we jumped apart.

brady gave me an awkward wave and said, "i missed you."

⤎⎼༌·⋱🩰⋰⋆༌⎼⤏

"who was that," grace demanded, the moment brady was out of earshot.

"my friend!" i said, determinedly looking at the corridor walls.

"your friend my-" they began.

"i'm telling the truth, we're just friends!"

"sure, whatever. you can pretend to be oblivious all you want, mikaela, but anyone who's got eyes can see that boy's up to his ears in love."

"love," i said, frowning, "is a very strong word."

"love," grace quipped, "is a very appropriate word."

the author speaks:i'm cool

the author speaks:
i'm cool.

the oc speaks:
i'm cooler.

the author speaks:
i created you dummy.

the oc speaks:
whatever you say.