045

mikki

mikki

"next on the bottom of the pyramid," another picture was torn off by abby's merciless hand. "gianina.

"you had the pretty lyrical, you had the pretty costume, you pretty much failed."

"she got seventh because they liked the kids that turned their feet in," joanne had to pipe up, "so i don't know what the hell's happening."

abby's face soured and all i could think was, bad move joanne, bad move.

"i've never gotten seventh in my life. so that's a first."

nice play on words, but keep your mouth shut! i begged in my head. at the same time, i admired her. admired her for being able to speak up, being able to stand up for herself. i could never. all i wanted was to finish the season without another breakdown.

"let's make it the last," abby replied.

"next, pressley. i thought you were good in the group, that you embodied the character. i just need to see more, technically."

press gave an odd shake of her head in understanding.

"next, paris." paris looked shocked, her hands twitching slightly behind her back. i felt happy for her, she did really well.

"i was on you and on you and on you about your feet. however on stage, you did the part...ok."

"next on the second row, brady."

more than anything, i was surprised that i wasn't called up yet. i had gotten second, a place that abby abhorred.

"brady, i thought you did a great job in the group dance. i had huge hopes for you. i brought you back. and things have been...so so. are you ever going to get to the top?"

"'next, mikki." my face stared back at me from my headshot. "second."

she moved on to the top, but mom stopped her.

"you give all these other kids critiques, and my kid gets one word?" she said incredulously, "abby, we come here to dance, to get your training. if we wanted one word, we could have stayed in arizona. why didn't you put her at the top?"

"she was second!"

"she placed the highest out of our solos!"

"enough!" abby glared at me, "mikki, i have told you over and over again that i expect perfection. i want you to dance technically amazing, have great facials, never be off by half a count. i have come to expect firsts from you each and every time. and this is what you give me.

"and on the top of the pyramid, lilly. you had that charisma on stage that i couldn't take my eyes off."

stacey smirked from the side, sneaking a glance at mom.

"alright. this is huge. we're staying here in pittsburgh to attend ignite dance competition. our last competition before nationals. the author is probably going to make this week a bit brief, because she's learning italian on duolingo and is sort of hooked. also, she has been put into online school by her city's extended lockdown, so don't expect much."

we nodded in understanding, and hoped the readers wouldn't be too disappointed in her.

"this is it. the number has to be incredible. the last time we were in pittsburgh, we lost. now, i think a lot of people in pittsburgh, a lot of my competitors...they thought i was dust. abby's outta there. so this routine is bringing it all home. it's called rising from the ashes. you will be dancing in ashes."

this sounds like the bermuda triangle all over again. i could tell the others shared my thoughts by the way their lips pulled.

"all of it," abby waved her head in a circle, "is significant in my comeback. will you go up in flames? or will you be the overall high score winner.

"we also have solos. the first solo is going to brady."

brady did that weird thing with his hands, as though he had too much excitement and was trying to keep it in with his fingers. i grinned at him, which made him narrow his eyes teasingly.

"the last time you did a solo, you were seventh. that cannot happen again."

"the next solo goes to pressley." ashley gave a quiet 'yes' in the background. "you are getting a second chance."

"the final solo goes to...mikki."

mom gave a strangled gasp behind me.

"i'm still looking for national soloists. i think it's pretty safe to say that lilly will be doing a solo at nationals."

i gave her a little clap while she beamed. lilly had worked incredibly hard this season, and she deserved a chance to get it. but i wanted what she had. i wanted to dance better than anyone. and if i had to thrash everyone else to get a solo at nationals, i would do it.

"hannah, you're definitely not doing a solo at nationals.

"brady, pressley, mikki. if you win this week, you will be doing a solo at nationals. so everyone out, we're going to start the group number."