4 | Cutlasses (II)

Nobody noticed a figure creeping towards the Temple's west side

Nobody noticed a figure creeping towards the Temple's west side. After all, Xanthy had made sure that all the Temple guards were interested in the scuffle happening at the Temple front rather than the covert side mission Xanthy was pulling off.

She dashed past the clamoring soldiers, pulling her hood lower and pushing her hair inside of her cloak. All the action had threatened to push it all to the surface and Xanthy knew better than to be identified anywhere.

Her boots slapped against the cobbled road, the thin soles barely making any noise. The gate spread wide but there's only a fraction of the grounds inside that's the Temple of Earth itself. Such a waste of land and resources. But what did Xanthy's thoughts about it matter?

Xanthy ran, hoping her friends wouldn't get arrested or thrown into prison. She had heard enough tales of the Avaloran prison and she didn't want to end up there, free or not.

The corner of the Temple gates came into view and Xanthy swerved, gripping the gate's rails to propel herself forward. Faster. She gathered her magic to the surface, the Virtakios simmering in and out of her system as the magic around her failed to provide her with enough energy. Even the Arbotro's spirit inside her offered no help.

Gritting her teeth, she stopped at a random spot by the gates and pressed her hands against the metal rails. She willed them to change, melding the trails woven into it with the Virtakios. It had taken her a full week to learn how to do it after telling June what she learned about the true nature of the Power of the Ancients and June hypothesizing the spell for her. It was an ingenious move which proved useful for sneaking into the markets to steal butterbread whenever she craved.

Before guilt started gnawing at her stomach about stealing from equally struggling merchants, she spread her hands and the gate's rails parted according to her motion. The sound of metal grating rang in the horizon but the patter of dagrine hooves and some merchants' hollering covered most of it. Good. Better.

She ducked into the hole, her boots touching the soft grass carpeting the grounds as she crossed through the gate. Then, she set the metal back to how it was with another grate. She winced. That's a risk.

Xanthy turned away from the gate. She's inside. The Temple of Earth now stood in all its glory, looming above her. Columns the size of the smallest castle towers supported the triangular roof, stretching farther to the back. Xanthy had to crane her neck and narrow her eyes before she could see where the line of gigantic columns ended.

She took one last glance at the gates. The hole was unneeded the second time since she probably would have to teleport her way out of here once she succeeded with her plan. The sirtya had to sit this one out since none of them were sure if there were magic sensors inside the Temple. She'd hate to trigger them before she even made it inside.

Play it safe because they have a lot to lose if they don't.

Stairs carved from what looked like marble tinged with Crozal's rays led up to a narrow foyer. Doors lined the wall protecting the Temple at regular intervals. The only thing left to do was to figure out where the heir was currently locked in. Arbotro, any luck in tracking Ariden? Xanthy's thoughts were loud and echoed inside her head when she asked.