8 | Union (III)

June sat beside Xanthy on the sand

June sat beside Xanthy on the sand. It had been natural for her to edge against him and lay her head on the crook of his neck. This time, though, she stayed a few distance from him. She craned her head towards the night sky bearing thousands of stars and at least three moons for the night.

Crozal, which was probably the only moon she came to know, shone with her crimson rays. Together with Leranna, the small moon with light yellow rays, and Samiri, the moderately-sized moon with green rays, they turned the sky into a color resembling ocher. Should she like this color? No matter. As long as Crozal was out, Xanthy had to be cautious.

"Are you alright?" June's voice snapped her away from her sightseeing. She turned to him and caught his dark eyes locked in on her.

She rubbed her arms as she tucked them to herself. "Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know," June stared at his boots making trenches in the dry sand. "Why wouldn't you be? Is there something you want to talk about?"

Xanthy thought about it then turned her attention back to the sky. "Stars," she blurted. "Do you know their names? I heard they have those. As well as the patterns they make."

June sidled closer to Xanthy. "I'm not the best at starsight studies but I could try," he exhaled. Both of their heat seemed to turn the windy night bearable. He pointed to a star which shone brighter than the rest around it. "See that?"

Xanthy could only assume they were thinking about the same star as she nodded. "What about it?"

"That's the tip of Xydaprioris, the compass needle," June said. "Trace it down south and you get the needle. Connect the surrounding stars from the needle's midpoint and you get the compass star, or rose, in some tomes."

Xanthy had stopped listening to what he was saying and instead observed him talk about things he knew. It had been so easy to just sit like this with him and forget the world existed around them. It's just so...damn easy.

"And the other one there would be Koste, the scroll," June was saying. "It only shows for three days before vanishing for some time. Then, it appears for three days again. I haven't been paying attention to my teacher at starsighting to know the exact schedule but I guess, we have it now?"

Xanthy chuckled. June pointed to a star which glowed in a mysterious green light. Weren't all stars white and responsible for providing the brightness during the night? "That's the lone star Polreid. It's one of the stars which has their characteristic color visible to the naked eye."

"Yeah, it's green," Xanthy muttered before analyzing June's statement. She turned to him. "Wait, you can see the color of the other stars?"

June bobbed his head. "Yeah, we used to have those instruments at the school," he snorted as his eyes brightened with some familiarity. "I remember breaking one because I couldn't find the star I was assigned to find."