19 | Surrender (I)

WARNING: Depiction of violence is evident in the following scenes that may be upsetting for other viewers. Reader discretion is advised.

 Reader discretion is advised

2412, Diori 25, Daleth

Xanthy held June's hand, staring at his sleeping face with enough dread to power the whole of Depandes. It was reminiscent of all the times she took care of him when he needed her. Only this time, the circumstances were different. This time, she's the one with a secret to hide.

"I don't know if you can hear me," Xanthy drew up and planted a kiss atop his scalp. This was probably the last time she'd get to do this. "Know that everything I do is for you. For all of you."

The battle raged outside and no one was brave enough to go to Xanthy's tent to summon her to this morning's briefing. As it should be. Xanthy has a plan of her own which she spent the whole night revising. It's time.

She drew away from June and gazed at his face, trying to memorize it so she would have something pleasant to remember when she passed. She heaved off a sigh and met Nyxis's questioning gaze from across the infirmary. Despite the tears murking her vision, she smiled at him.

She looked away before Nyxis could read more from her face. She swallowed her tears and gripped the shaft of the bow now slung across her torso. The inner quadrant blurred in her periphery. The sounds of soldiers clamoring and rushing around were lost to the droll of pending doom in her ears. Some soldiers stepped aside as she made for the stairs leading to the battlements.

If they knew what she was about to do, they wouldn't. They shouldn't have.

The wind whipped her hair clear of her face as she looked down at the battle unfolding below. Gods, how pathetic Penleth was. Just a small circle in the sea of black slowly overwhelming them. It's not going to end well for everyone. Xanthy's hands balled at her sides. Dread only increased by a manifold and started squeezing her gut. If she succeeded with her plan, she would have to face the consequences. Betrayal never had sweet fruits.

Her eyes stung but not because of the wind. If she succeeded with this plan, she would have to see the end of this war...on her own.

She looked back at the inner quadrant and thought of June. Would he hate her after he learned of what she had done? Ah, maybe that's why June hid his past from her all those months ago. When one has something to hide, relationships rarely work to one's favor. This war...it took more than it gave.

Xanthy blew a breath and unslung her bow from her shoulder. She drew an arrow from the quiver wrapped around her waist, nocked it, and aimed. Find Reeca. She whispered into the arrow. It seemed to understand.

She let it fly.

Events unfolded in a quick montage after that. The arrow found its target, burying on the varichria's back like a treacherous nimba. Silence gripped the whole battlefield in the few seconds that it took for Reeca to fall off from her paulsare and towards the ground.