21 | Parkane (I)

June heard the whispers before his eyes registered what was happening

He groaned and pushed himself up. Pain speared through his gut, sending a gasp out his lips. His cheeks puffed out as breathed for a few minutes. He needed to get his mind to stop spinning and his insides to settle down.

He vaguely remembered waking up to a view of a white sheet above him and then a dark room. And now...

June's eyebrows creased. What was he looking at? Instead of the dim ceiling he's expecting to see, a light pink sky towered above them like a fuzzy blanket. Cold seeped through his skin as his back pressed against a hard surface. When he fully opened his eyes, he realized the wall was the same thing as the sky. So was the floor. In fact, now that he had blinked a few times, there was nothing to see except the pink sky all around.

"Look who joins us in nowhere," a jovial voice speared through June's ears. His head swiveled until his gaze locked in on Cyrdel. The Alkaran heir had never looked worse than he did now with his light brown hair swept to one side and his brown eyes half-open and bloodshot. June didn't know if his senses were already working but he thought he smelled a whiff of sweat-soiled clothes on the brownie.

On all of them, in fact. Gods, they needed a bath.

June tried sitting further up and succeeded in plopping to ground helplessly. "Careful, you're still healing," Nyxis grasped June's elbows and helped him in an upright position. He looked at the ex-human and frowned. How come Nyxis didn't smell of blood? How in the world could he manage to make his hair look perfect despite the adverse condition they were in?

"What happened?" June's voice was hoarse. Understandable since there was a patch of dryness sitting in his throat.

Cyrdel cleared his throat. "Short story of long story?"

"Is something going to kill us in the next instant?" June craned his neck up at the sky again.

Nyxis looked around and June followed his friend's gaze to where all the other heirs making sense of the place. "We don't know," Nyxis jerked his chin in June's direction as he crossed his legs. "Though I suppose if you're already spitting jokes then you're already considered healed."

June rolled his eyes at Nyxis's poor attempt at matching his humor. "Yeah, short story, it is," he turned to Cyrdel. "Where's Xanthy?"

"Well," Cyrdel mussed his hair and a few bits of metal shavings fell from it and into his lap. "After you got stabbed and everything, Xanthy surrendered Penleth against Reeca's refusal. We're still pretty angry about that, by the way," he brushed the dirt off his trousers like they're pesky insects. "And uh, we were thrown into a stinking cell. You're much out of it for the most part. Rutoria's dead. Cirasa's seized by the Heiress's men. Apparently, he's the last oracle, which is fine and all. Trix is apparently a traitor and a mole. And now, we're here."

June blinked. "Wow."

"Yeah," Nyxis rested his head against the pink sky wall behind them. "Now we're here for a few minutes and so far, nothing's happening," he glanced at June. "Are you sure Xanthy didn't tell you anything before she went crazy?"