18 | Stop (I)

2412, Diori 23, Jyda

Xanthy cursed as she hurried past clamoring soldiers, making her way out of the inner quadrant. One foot in front of the other, she hurtled through the fortress as soon as she got word that the Sovereign and the Heiress had both appeared at the front lines.

Her chest tightened. Her stomach was still in knots after crying all night in the quiet of her tent. With uncombed hair and puffy eyes, Xanthy must have looked like hell. It's not like anyone would ever manage to look pristine in this time so it's fine.

Xanthy passed Reeca on her way out of the outer quadrant. The varichria's face still carried a haunted look after losing her brother. Eldan and Airese joined Xanthy as they stepped out of the fortress to meet the oncoming horde set to capture Penleth. Her parents looked nothing close to fine.

Airese lost her sister, Airene, and her friends, Anahel and Marthiaq. There's no way she was alright.

Xanthy, herself, was at a loss when she heard of Marthiaq's passing. The man was the one who watched over her in the Disfavoreds. He guided her when no one could even though he did it looking like an old man. Before, she thought of Marthiaq's disguise as something unnecessary but now it hurt to realize that he would never get old nor would his skin form wrinkles because of age.

Marthiaq was gone.

Her fists clenched as she trudged to the front lines, treading past soldiers who looked at her like she was a goddess. Xanthy hated those looks of adoration. She would let them all down sometime later if not now. She didn't deserve those.

Xanthy made it to the front and regarded the never-ending sea of black forming a distance from them. Compared to the thousands of people, artillery, and the sheer amount of the Sovereign and the Heiress's powers, Penleth looked insignificant. If Xanthy were their enemies, she would have wondered how in Umazure Penleth was still standing.

Xanthy sighed and steeled her nerves. Air filled her head and a hammer pounded against her temples. Ugh. That's what she got for not sleeping soundly last night. She shook her head. It didn't matter. Xanthy would end everything here. Today. At whatever cost.

The battle renewed once more. It was almost the same as it was yesterday and the days before that. Soldiers fell. Magic spewed in bright sparks. Nature bent and followed new masters.

Xanthy stayed where she was as the remaining warriors from Penleth whizzed past her to clash with the attacking enemy. She called her magic to the surface, grimacing at the sputtering state it greeted her.

Ease up on the Virtakios, Xanthy told the Arbotros' presence in her head. I'm letting it all out.

You might alter more than you know, the Arbotro's tone was apprehensive. Let me help.

No, the Heiress and the Sovereign will sense your trail the moment I go in there, Xanthy gave the Arbotro light on what she planned to do.

The voice was quiet for a while before sighing. Fine, the Arbotro said. If you feel like you're losing control or if it becomes overwhelming for you, I won't hesitate to shut your magic down.