12 | Throne (III)

Reeca cursed as audibly and as colorfully as she could

Reeca cursed as audibly and as colorfully as she could. She raced up the wall, joining Elred. "What a day, huh?" Reeca huffed against her constricting chest.

Elred extended her arm and summoned for herself a glass sword. "Get ready," she clenched her jaw. "The real soldiers are coming."

Reeca drew her sword as well. She was taking this rather calmly contrary to her normal disposition. What's the matter? "Are we going to die here, Elred?" Reeca watched the flying island's shadow slowly overtake more and more of Penleth.

The shard fairy gave a small, bitter chuckle. "Probably," she said. "Are you ready?"

Reeca's stomach plunged deep as it churned. "No."

"Good."

Almost on cue, they pressed their backs together as black-clad soldiers dropped like pheasetis from the sky and landed on two feet on the wall's walkways. Reeca and Elred lunged as one and the fight truly began.

Reeca slashed here and there, dodging weapons, kicks, and arms the best she could. She folded her wings and whirled, driving her sword deep into anyone who dared to attack her. Her magic crackled to the surface, reaching out to the rocks around her.

Down below, Canelis was locked in combat with the Falkirtan heir. April Sylkrana, was it? Tacky. From the corner of her eye, Reeca tracked the pixie's movements. Canelis's wails of pure anger trickled into Reeca's ears even from a distance.

Reeca ducked and rammed her foot against a stomach. A feminine oomph ensued as her attacker stumbled back. Elred cried behind her and Reeca turned to find the shard fairy slumped against a crenelation, blood at the side of her mouth.

"Elred!" Reeca called again, parrying a blow to her head and slashing her sword across the person's torso. Blood showered her face as she kicked the person away.

Elred wiped at her mouth and frowned at the blood smeared across her hand. "I'm fine," she rasped before meeting another swinging sword. "Duck!"

Reeca obeyed, feeling the wind drive hair away from her face as she did. Elred screamed as she threw her opponent over Reeca's ducked frame. The man sailed without ceremony before slamming into his own comrades.

Reeca swept her leg underneath the people who didn't get hit by the man Elred threw. Her sword slashed and stabbed without missing a beat. Blood stained the battlement in ugly splatters. Her concentration slipped and a punch sacked her in the jaw. She stumbled, feeling hot blood drip from her lip. Ugh. Nasty.

Reeca snarled and lunged forward. She planted her foot on the floor and met her attackers in a wrestling hold. Grunting, she drove the men towards the side of the wall and pushed. They fell over. It was silent for a minute and as Reeca tackled the next ones, she heard distinct cracks.

Mull over that later.

The onslaught seemed to be endless. Black figures continued on dropping from the sky, slowly populating the battlement. Reeca spied a few scouts engaged in battle but their struggle was quick as it came. Three, four, five. Reeca counted fallen soldiers from their side already.