23: Happy Returns

CHAPTER 23: Happy Returns

"Daphne, I know it's going to take every ounce of self-control to prevent yourself from doing this, but please do not hex Fred Weasley on sight."

"Can I do it after he's spotted me?"

"No?"

"Why?" Daphne huffed, crossing her arms, "Legally, if he's seen me, it's a fair fight. I looked it up."

"That is a very problematic law if it's true," Theo pointed out, his eyes still trained on the book in his hands.

"Of course you looked it up," Madeline sighed, rubbing her temples and leaning back in her seat, "Of course you bloody did."

The Slytherin Trio had managed to snag a train carriage to themselves on their journey back to Hogwarts. And of course, the first point of conversation had to be Daphne's ever-growing distaste for a specific Weasley.

"I'm just saying," Daphne continued, "That no one would complain if my wand slipped and-"

"Daphne, no."

And although Madeline tried to look annoyed, she did crack a grin. Because as much as Daphne could insinuate violence, Madeline knew she was only trying to cheer her up. And really, it was working.

Seeing her friends again had definitely cheered Madeline up. Sure, they visited over summer, but it was different to see them returning back to their normality. Daphne had returned with sharper features and brighter eyes, while Theo's studious eyes seemed to relax a bit when he saw his two friends. It felt a little like coming home.

At that moment, a knock sounded at the compartment door. It slid open, revealing timid-looking Evie Sterling stood at the door, with a jumper two sizes too big and her ginger bob pulled up into a ponytail. But despite the slightly dishevelled appearance, she had a grin on her face.

"Good morning Evie!" Daphne cheerily greeted her, patting the empty space next to her, "Fancy joining us?"

"I'm in the carriage a few door down with the other second years, but thank you," Evie smiled politely, almost proudly claiming her title as a second year. She began turning to each of the trio, "I thought I'd come to say hi and- Oh wow Madeline, your hair grew!"

"My aunt said that," Madeline laughed, the ends of her hair hanging low down her back, "Maybe I should get it cut. How've you been, Evie?"

The girl shrugged, "The same. I helped mum in the shop over summer, and I saw a couple of friends from my old muggle school. But, that's about it." And then her eyes widened, "Did you all go to France, like you said you would?"

Daphne nodded proudly, "Yes we did, young Evie. Spent a few weeks in the Bisset mansion sipping wine and attending balls-"

"No, we didn't."

"Shut up Theo," Daphne sighed, closing her eyes dramatically, "Don't ruin the magic."

Evie laughed, turning when she heard her name being called further down the carriage. She turned back to the trio apologetically, "I should head back to the others. I'll see you guys later!"

The trio bid the young Slytherin goodbye, the compartment door sliding closed once more. The noise from the other carriage was shut out once more, the trio left alone.

"She's come out of her shell," Theo mused.

"Of course she did," Madeline bragged proudly, "She's friends with us."

Daphne nodded thoughtfully, and after a few moments, she stood up. She walked to the compartment door, opening it a crack and peering around. She shut it with finality, locking it, before pulling the blind over the glass pane. Now, they were alone.