4: Triwizard Tournament

Chapter 4: Triwizard Tournament

Madeline sunk into her seat at the Slytherin table with a long pained groan, eyes still half shut as she slumped over her plate. She ignored the curious stares of her housemates, letting her forehead hit the table with a dull thud.

"Good morning to you too," Theo teased, halfway through his breakfast, "Rough night?"

"Just pass me the coffee," Madeline mumbled grumpily, eagerly grabbing the steaming cup of black liquid, murmuring into the mug, "Come here you beautiful, beautiful creature."

Daphne raised her eyebrow at the girl, barely suppressing a smile, "Never would've guessed you felt that way about our Theodore."

Madeline took a large swig of the liquid, draining half the cup. She sighed happily, turning to her friends, "Someone hexed my mattress into jelly. I basically had to sleep on a large, wobbly pudding."

"That doesn't sound like a bad thing," Theo pointed out as he tore a chunk out of his bread roll.

"It is when you suffer from sea sickness," Madeline groaned, "I had to sneak into the common room and sleep on the couches, which by the way, I don't recommend."

"Looks like you've made some enemies," Daphne smirked, "It was probably Pansy. She's been in love with Draco since first year. I bet you anything he set her up to it. I'll help you change your bed back if you want."

"Please," Madeline sighed, downing the rest of the coffee before refilling the mug, "I'm not spending another night on that couch, no way."

Before the trio could continue their conversation, the hall fell into silence. Dumbledore had taken his place at the podium, his arms spread to call the attention of everyone. Madeline sleepily blinked her eyes up to the Headmaster, sipping from her mug.

"Good morning everyone," the elderly man began, his voice booming in the silent hall, "I trust you've all had a wonderful few weeks back, both old and new students."

"After much deliberation with the Ministry of Magic and the staff, we have made a few exciting decisions about this school year. To begin with, it is my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

Shocked gasps echoed through the hall. The Gryffindor table seemed to be in quiet uproar, Madeline spotting the Weasley twins with identical gaping expressions, slamming their goblets down in outrage. It looked like they were seconds away from starting a riot.

"This-" Dumbledore continued loudly, calling all attention back to him,"-is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy - but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely."

"Fat chance," a boy to Madeline's left muttered, who she recognised as the Slytherin beater.

"We are to have the grand honour of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event that has not been held for over a century," Dumbledore beamed, "It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year!"

"You're JOKING!"

All eyes fell on Fred Weasley, who was halfway off his seat with wide eyes and a jolly look on his face. Most people chuckled, including Dumbledore himself.

"I am not joking, Mr. Weasley," he replied, "Though now that you mention it, I did hear an excellent one over the summer about a troll, a hag, and a leprechaun who all go into a bar-"