32: Nightmare

Chapter 32: Nightmare

That evening, in Dumbledore's office

Harry took a deep breath, looking up at Dumbledore, 'Ron's dad- Mr. Weasley -has been attacked by a giant snake."

Everything had moved so quickly; from Harry's disturbed dream-almost-vision, to standing in the Headmasters office, to watching the past headmasters of Hogwarts rush around in their paintings to try and save a mans life. A man who was his best friend's dad.

"You are to give him the message that Arthur Weasley has been gravely injured and that his wife, children and Harry Potter will be arriving at his house shortly. Do you understand?" Dumbledore spoke to one of the paintings.

Soon enough, it wasn't just Harry and Ron, but Fred, George and Ginny too were ushered in by Professor McGonagall, still in their pyjamas and looking half-asleep.

"Harry?" Ginny asked, rubbing her eyes, "What's going on? Professor McGonagall says you saw Dad get hurt-"

"Your father has been injured in the course of his work for the Order of the Phoenix," Dumbledore interrupted, "He has been taken to St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. I am sending you back to Sirius's house, which is much more convenient for the hospital than The Burrow. You will meet your mother there."

"For how long?" Fred asked, "Is dad okay?"

"We don't know the details yet," Dumbledore replied, "The Floo Network is being watched; it's not safe for you to travel that way. You'll use a port key."

A fiery flash appeared in the centre of the room for a moment, leaving behind a single phoenix feather. Dumbledore hummed, "That's Fawkes's warning. Professor Umbridge must know you're out of your beds... Minerva, go and head her off. Tell her any story."

Professor McGonagall was gone at once.

"Come here, then," Dumbledore said to Harry and the Weasleys, "And quickly, before anyone else joins us."

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

Madeline woke up with a yell.

Her necklace was burning through her skin. Her dreams had been filled with fangs and blood and snakes, of all things. She gasped, sweat dripping from her face as she sat up, panting and clutching her necklace. It was burning hot, but she didn't care if it scolded her skin. It made her feel grounded, feel like she was here.

"Bisset?" Daphne whispered in the dark, pushing aside Madeline's bed canopy and peering in, "Are you alright? I heard you yell."

Madeline swallowed, nodding frantically, "Yeah, fine. I just, uh- bad dream-"

"Then shut up and get to bed," Pansy called from across the dorm, "Seriously, I think we all know you need the beauty sleep."

"Ignore her," Daphne huffed, "You sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'm sure," Madeline nodded, "Thanks Daphne."

She waited until everyone was back asleep before she reached for her wand, casting a quiet Lumos with a small, dim light. She cast the wand over her hand, inspecting the burns from her necklace-

And watched them disappear almost immediately, fading back into her skin as if nothing happened.

There was no way she was getting back to sleep.