42: The Last Summer

Chapter 42: The Last Summer

Madeline didn't expect to return home to smiles and hugs. No; quite the opposite, actually.

After being named as one of the students who had helped Harry Potter in the battle in the Department of Mysteries, her name had begun circulating much more than it had in the previous year, even after Rita Skeeter's article. And usually, Claude Bisset would absolutely love the publicity.

But not this time.

Madeline had barely stepped into the house before she was pulled into the dining room. There, she found herself faced with her mother, uncle, aunt, and grandmother. And they were not pleased in the slightest.

"Harry Potter," the first words out of Claude Bisset's mouth as he clutched a cigar between his fingers, "That's who you decided to associate with?"

"Darling," Isabelle tried, gently placing her hand on her husbands arm, "I'm sure she can explain-"

"No," Claude shook his head, shaking Isabelle's hand off him, "I thought you were smarter than this, Madeline. Now you've put a target on our back-"

"Don't you think I did you a favour?"

Every set on eyes turned to Madeline, who stood proud and strong in the room, staring her uncle down. She continued, "I'm not blind to what side of the Wizarding War we aligned to, Uncle. I know what our beliefs were, and perhaps yours still are. But in this situation; don't you think I took the media's eyes off our family by fighting alongside Harry Potter? Showing everyone we're the good guys?"

Alodie Bisset hummed, folding her arms, "She has a point, Claude."

'Good', Madeline thought, 'I didn't spend two hours practicing that speech in the train for nothing.'

"So you believe that you have your family's best interest at heart, do you?" Claude pressed, stepping forwards, "Are you willing to do what it takes to keep the Bisset bloodline alive? Even with the Dark Lord returning?"

"Isn't the fact that you believe in me the reason I'm going to be the next Head of The Family?"

Claude hummed, taking a step back. He took one long drag of his cigar, looking over to Madeline's mother, "Eloise, what do you think?"

"I think," Eloise breathed, folding her hands neatly in front of her, "That although Madeline's actions were rash and impulsive, they've brought no immediate... Consequences."

"Yet," Alodie muttered.

"If you can prove yourself to us as a family - that you are loyal to the Bisset name - I see nothing wrong," her mother finished, giving Madeline a knowing look.

Madeline wanted to turn around and look at Isabelle. She wanted her aunt to assure her that everything was going to be okay. She didn't know who to trust in her own family anymore, and that was terrifying. She didn't know if her own mother was on her side, or what game Claude was playing. And now, being alone without her friends, she felt small.

"I can, and I will," Madeline nodded, "Now, can I please go unpack?"

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

Madeline had to wait three days before she was finally alone with her aunt.

It was a flurry of meetings and events with her uncle, being presented to family friends as the future Head of The Family. Not that they didn't know already. The news had flown through France faster than Madeline could complete an essay. She was pretty sure even the birds knew her name by now.