44: Breakfast With A View

Chapter 44: Breakfast With A View

March, 1975

Hogwarts

"So you really like her?"

Mary Macdonald and Caradoc Dearborn sat on the edge of the Great Lake, on it's sandy shore, with the sun setting above them. Caradoc leant back, a pensive hum in his mouth.

"I do," he eventually admitted, "I think I'm going to marry her, Mary."

Mary's eyebrows raised, "Already?"

"Not just yet," Caradoc shook his head, "But... I can see a forever with her, you know?"

"Very romantic."

"Like, everything just feels brighter and lighter when I get one of her letters or I hear her voice," Caradoc continued, "I didn't realise you could feel like this about another person. I didn't expect to be so... Consumed by everything about her."

Mary snorted, "That sounds healthy."

Caradoc rolled his eyes, "I forgot you're allergic to love."

"Allergic? No. Do I think I have better things to do? Absolutely," Mary shrugged, "I want to see the world one day."

"Really?"

"Don't act so surprised," Mary scoffed, nudging him, "I want to do something big in the world. Seems right to see it first, doesn't it?"

Caradoc smirked, "Maybe I'll come with you."

"Oh, no you won't," Mary huffed, "You'll be too busy with your fancy new life with your fancy new wife-"

"-not my wife yet-"

"You'll probably have a kid before you give me a second thought," Mary finished, and although Caradoc knew she was joking, he was afraid that, perhaps, there might have been an underlying insecurity beneath her words.

"Hey," he nudged her, "You know we'll be friends forever, right?"

"You sound about twelve, Dearborn."

"But seriously, I don't want to lose you," Caradoc continued, looking back out to the lake, "No matter whatever the future holds for us; you're still my best friend."

Mary smiled at herself, nodding and looking over at him, "Yeah, alright then."

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

The sixth years free periods were not, in fact, free periods. Mostly, they consisted of every single student frantically writing essays and finishing off homework for their NEWT classes. The lessons were becoming increasingly demanding, as if they had an exam every week. Non-verbal spells were now expected, not only in Defence Against the Dark Arts, but in Charms and Transfiguration too, something Madeline had to remember to write home and thank her aunt for.

And meanwhile, Madeline had slowly begun juggling her relationship with Draco. Yes, her relationship. Because they were officially, without a shadow of a doubt, dating. Suddenly, Madeline was finding Draco waiting for her in the common room before meals so that they could walk down together. She'd loop her fingers in his shirt cuff to bring him closer when they said goodbye. He'd always let her in through the classroom doors first. She was sure people would be catching on by now.