11: The Fat Lady

Chapter 11: The Fat Lady

"This is a nightmare," Madeline concluded, eyes wide in disbelief, "This is a real, living nightmare."

"I'm going to have to bleach my eyes," Daphne hissed from the seat by her side.

"I'm never going to forget this," Theo spoke in shock, mouth agape, "Seriously, this is terrifying."

Some may think the Slytherins had witnessed a gruesome murder in the way they'd speak about this day in the future. But truly, it was much, much worse.

Because as head of Slytherin house, Professor Snape was in charge of teaching them how to waltz.

"The Yule Ball has always been an unfortunate side effect of the Triwizard Tournament, both of which I care little for," Snape began drawling as a first-year muggleborn Slytherin set up a gramophone. The disgust was evident in his voice, dripping from every syllable, "However, I have been asked to ensure that you all won't make fools out of yourselves on the evening."

"Pinch me, I'm dreaming," Daphne whispered to Theo.

"Only if you pinch me back."

"As representatives of Slytherin, you will conduct yourselves with the utmost sophistication you can all muster, albeit low," Snape continued, scanning some of the less graceful students, "The Yule Ball is repulsively, first and foremost, a dance."

Murmurs began within the benches on the edges of the large dungeon room. Snape silenced them all at once with a flourish of his sleeve as he stepped back to the gramophone, which now seemed to work.

"Malfoy, Bisset; considering your family histories, I assume you're both educated enough to know what a waltz is," Snape snapped, not even bothering to look at Madeline's baffled expression, "Please demonstrate to the rest of the house, and try not to make fools out of yourselves."

"He's kidding," Madeline gasped, Daphne and Tracy snickering, "Oh that son of a-"

"Today, the both of you," Snape urged, music starting to waft out of the gramophone.

Madeline locked eyes with Draco, who seemed more smug than anything. He proudly stood up, clearly humouring the snide comments his friends made about her. Daphne and Theo could hardly keep themselves upright as they tried to contain their laughter, Tracy not doing a very good job either.

"This is a nightmare," Madeline muttered as she pushed herself up.

"Attagirl!" Daphne cheered between spurts of laughter.

Madeline huffed, meeting Malfoy in the middle of the room. Being so close to him, she realised that he was quite a few inches taller than her, with posture that could rival McGonagall's own. He smelt lightly like peppermint, and the arrogant smirk on his face showed her he was really, really going to enjoy this.

"Don't you dare step on my toes, Malfoy, or I'll transfigure you into a ferret myself" Madeline hissed.

"Would you both like a few minutes to compose yourselves?" Snape mocked, Crabbe and Goyle snickering, "Get on with it."

Madeline huffed, placing her hand on Draco's upper-arm. She looked at him expectantly, "My waist, Malfoy."

"You have one of those?"

"You want me to lead you instead?"

Draco huffed, placing his hand on her waist.

The two locked their opposite hands together. Madeline realised that Draco's hand was much, much colder than her own. He still held his arrogant sneer as the two began taking their first steps, Madeline pointedly ignoring Theo and Daphne's mocking thumbs-up from the side of the room.