16: The Second Task

CHAPTER 16: The Second Task

May, 1997

Sixth Year

The unfamiliar solemn silence haunted the halls of Hogwarts, replacing what had been jolly laughter once upon a time. The sky had turned a cloudy grey, the rain unfaltering and violent against the windows, almost as if it were mourning with the school. Not even Peeves could be found, seemingly vanishing along with the joy that had once run through the very walls of Hogwarts.

Two very different boys were sat underneath an alcove, their backs to the cold glass of the windows. Both boys held worn expressions on their faces, although one would forever hold more guilt than the other. Condolences didn't need to be exchanged, not yet, for both were too lost in their own grief.

"Did you love her?" the first boy asked, breaking through the silence with gentle ease.

The second boy scoffed, as if the other had just told a joke. He looked up to the darkened stone ceiling, smiling fondly.

"How could anyone not love her?"

Both would hold her smile in their hearts until the end of time.

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

February, 1995
Fourth Year

February fluttered into the Hogwarts grounds with the promise of the second Triwizard task approaching. The excitement grew day by day, the students seemingly falling back into that same flurry of tension they had been in months before. Madeline could hardly believe she'd been in Hogwarts for nearly six months, and what an exciting six months it had been.

The commotion of the oncoming task had done little to prevent the never-ending flurry of homework. Sat at one of the larger study tables in the Slytherin common room, Madeline looked around at her friends. Theo was on her left, finishing his Potions assignment, while Daphne and Terence sat to right, flirting and trying (failing) to complete their own assignments.

Over the short time Madeline had known him, Theo had been a strong and loyal, yet reserved friend. He spoke with reason and diplomacy, and Madeline was sure that no one could pose him a problem he couldn't solve. Meanwhile, Daphne was bold, brash, impulsive, and knew exactly how to win anyone over with her charisma and good looks. Sat together, the trio looked positively untouchable, with the green of their ties keeping any and all unwanted attention away. They looked intimidating, and the few that knew them well would confirm this.

Terence wasn't Madeline's favourite person by any account. He was cocky and arrogant, and embodied all the selfish qualities of a Slytherin. Yet, she had no doubt that he too would help her if she ever needed it. He was a jock with a golden heart, as some may say, with a horrible tendency to go above and beyond the socially acceptable levels of PDA.

Tracy Davis was exactly the kind of presence the trio needed in Slytherin. She was refreshingly down-to-earth, with a working class family and a healthy relationship. She cared about the younger students, and made sure that everyone in the house felt warm and welcome.

And of course, she couldn't forget her other friends. Cedric had been rather preoccupied with the oncoming task recently, as had Harry. Hermione had been busy bugging the latter to figure out his egg, but Madeline had often joined Hermione to study in the library with Ginny and Neville (much to the boys surprise).

Fleur and Madeline had spent numerous January mornings eating breakfast together, the two catching up with anything and everything, from the Yule Ball to Fleur's progress in the tournament. Theo and Fleur had sizzled out quickly, both equating the date to the ball as friendship more than anything.