9: The First Task

Chapter 9: The First Task

Tuesday.

The day of the first task.

Of course, the Slytherin Dungeons were positively buzzing with excitement. Madeline had spotted a group of second years makeshift some signs to hold up, 'Potter Stinks!' still being the most popular one. In fact, all the signs pretty much berated Harry and favoured no other champion (although she could've sworn she saw Crabbe and Goyle with matching Krum signs).

The day passed in a blur. Daphne was particularly chirpy as they sat for lunch, their classes ending mid-day in favour of the Tournament. Even Malfoy was in a good mood, although it was most definitely to do with the fact that Harry was about to risk his life publicly than genuine excitement for the tournament.

"Isn't this exciting?!" Daphne exclaimed, biting into her sandwich, "The day is finally here!"

"I'm not sure exciting is the right word for it," Theo pointed out, "I swear, Cedric looked like he was about to cry this morning."

Madeline huffed, "Do you guys not think this whole thing is barbaric?"

"Well, yeah, but that's half the fun," Daphne shrugged, "I just hope Krum doesn't get hurt..."

Madeline thought about Fleur, Cedric and Harry. To be honest, the only one Madeline didn't really care about was Krum. She knew Fleur had it in the bag; she was one of the most talented witches she knew. Cedric would manage, he seemed like the resilient type. But Harry... She was the most worried about him; scrawny, thin, and thrown into this without a choice.

Speaking of...

"Merlin, he looks terrified," Theo pointed out as Harry walked into the hall with Hermione, "Shouldn't he be with the other champions?"

Madeline watched the boy worriedly, noticing how pretty much every single person in the Great Hall looked at him with disdain. He truly didn't have anyone on his side apart from Hermione and herself, and she was willing to bet that if he did come out victorious, the Gryffindors would jump back onto the bandwagon of 'All Hail the Chosen One' instantly. Pathetic.

McGonagall quickly spotted Harry and rushed over, whispering something to him quietly. He nodded, allowing himself to be taken out of the Great Hall, most likely to prepare for his task.

"She's probably making sure he doesn't run away," Pansy Parkinson remarked from her seat next to Draco. The table fell into a loud cackle of laughter.

Madeline frowned. If no one else was going to cheer him on, she would. Just like she had with Fleur when she'd been chosen. Sure, her and Harry hadn't spoken since the Adam Louis incident, and he more than likely thought she was some sort of Death Eater, but that didn't matter. She stood up.

"Good luck Harry!" Madeline shouted from the Slytherin table. Harry turned in surprise, his eyes landing on the Slytherin girl gratefully. He shot her a small but hopeful smile, assuring her that he was okay. He disappeared behind the doors, McGonagall with her hand on his shoulder.

"Good luck for what, Bisset?" Pansy questioned, staring at her as she sat down, "His untimely death?"

"I'll have you know, Parkinson, that some of us aren't foul enough to wish death on a fellow student," Madeline sniffed, "I'm sure Professor Moody would love to hear all about how much you hate his favourite student."

Pansy huffed, crossing her arms and leaning back behind Draco dramatically. Madeline rolled her eyes, turning to her friends, "Shall we go to the arena?"