Days Of The Online

This one is the winning entry for our January prompt - Band Baajaa Baaraat - in our monthly contest series "Mohabbatein". Have a look at the entry that captured our attention the most :)

Here's "Days of The Online" by Shreya_VA

The typical music of the shehnai hit me hard as I jostled my way past the gossiping aunties, into the mandap. The music waxed and waned in a crescendo of notes, making me wonder if it was a happy tune at all. The musicians to the right of the stage looked pretty depressed themselves.

The music rose a pitch suddenly and drums started playing from somewhere, signifying the arrival of the bride and groom. The chattering people stopped midway, everyone turning to see the grand entrance. The couple walked hand in hand onto the floral stage.

"Look at the bride, how gorgeous," someone whispered behind me.

"That jewellery..."

"The lehenga must be Sabyasachi. I heard they're rich."

Hundreds of little comments floated from all around me. Words of admiration, jealously and stupid generic comments as usual.

But I wasn't looking at the bride at all. My eyes were trained on the groom, trying to imagine his face behind the sehra. I had never met him in real life so it was tough to imagine from his photos how he'd look on his wedding day. I guessed he might be smiling beneath the veil of flowers hiding his face. But then was he comfortable with the marriage?

He had always seemed to be the 'happily single' kind of guy, so the invitation card was unexpected if I could put aside my feelings for him that is. He had come into my life like a tidal wave of positivity. Over our online chats, somewhere I had reserved a place in my heart for him.

The bride and the groom had gotten up to take their pheras, something that would supposedly bind them together for seven lives. We had joked a lot about marriages and stupid traditions. But here I was, seeing the man I have feelings for, get married. The worst part was I didn't have a microphone to sing 'Channa Mereya'

Unbidden tears came to my eyes and I quickly looked up at the ceiling, trying to contain those drops of embarrassment. I knew I had to get out of there. I was not strong enough to see this.

I started to back away from the hall when all the guests were pushing forward to throw flowers. And before I knew, I had retreated out of the venue and was roaming along the cobbled path of the resort.

Some distance away, a guy was leaning on the railing, his back towards me. He appeared to be standing alone, staring aimlessly at the sky. I took a step forward, curious to know what he was doing.

He heard my footsteps on the gravel and whipped around as if caught doing something illegal. For a brief second, I caught a glimpse of his face and I almost screamed. Almost because he had clamped his hands on my mouth.

"Shhh," he whispered.

"You, here, how?" I screeched, still trying to fathom how the person whose wedding I came to attend, was precisely standing outside.

"Who's getting married inside?" I squeaked.

"Someone whom Akriti loves," he shrugged.

"But you were supposed to..."

"Arranged marriages. Parents never considered what their children really want," he sighed.

"So you —"

"Agreed to help her marry a guy she really likes rather than getting stuck with someone like me all her life," he grinned. "The wedding party wouldn't know until the marriage is over."

"What's wrong with 'someone like you'," I breathed.

"Well, I haven't been in a serious relationship. I don't even think I'm meant to be loved," he mused.

"I think you're a pretty lovable husband material," I blurted.

"What?" his eyebrows rose higher. I looked into those eyes. Dark chocolate irises behind dark glasses, inquisitive, playful and charming. I had the sudden desire to grab him by the collar and just kiss him. I balled my hands into a fist, keeping my thoughts to myself.

"Well, seems like this weird girl actually thinks you're meant to be loved," I said in a small voice.

"You mean it?"

"I mean I find you pretty charming."

"Are you flirting with me?"

"Take it as you will," I winked.

"No way are you —"

"Yes Tanay, I developed feelings for you, okay?" my voice rose. "Even without seeing you, I had always felt this connection, this steady humming of how our frequencies match."

"That we do but..."

"We write together, we like songs, we can cheer each other up. Yeah, we fight but then that happens, Tanay," I insisted.

"This changes everything," he frowned.

"Unless you love someone else—"

"No," he asserted, coming a step closer, as he held my shoulders. "No," he said more softly. "I wouldn't lie by saying that I had feelings for you too, but hearing about this, I think I am finding a lot of explanations to unanswered questions I've been asking myself."

"Like?" I inhaled.

"Like what do butterflies in my stomach really feel like," he winked.

"You felt that too?"

"Feeling it right now," he brushed a loose strand of hair from my face.

"You idiot! How can you fall in love so quick?" I mock punched his chest as he held my waist and drew me closer.

"Is this okay?" he murmured in my ear. "I don't know what's appropriate at this stage."

"Better than okay," I threw my arms around him and gave him a peck on the cheek, ruffling his hair.

"Whoa! Easy there! This is all too new for me," he let go my waist, drawing his hands away and crossing them over his chest.

"It's okay! We'll take it slow. This is all new for me too," I said softly, moving a step towards him again. He unfroze and let his hands drop to his sides.

I hugged him then. He felt soft, warm. The smell of his perfume, mixed with the earthy scent of his body felt intoxicating.

"You smell good enough to be eaten," I smirked.

"Come here my secret online suitor," he extended his arms.

****