(Un)Lucky In Love

Here is the winning entry for our April prompt - Snow World - in our monthly contest series "Mohabbatein". Have a look at the entry that made us reach for tissues - and so we forewarn you! 

Here's "(Un)Lucky In Love " by Livin2Write 

Love.

It's that teeny-tiny, four-letter word which drives you crazy. It's that word which makes you seem like a fool. And it's that word that makes you realize that it's not just a word but an emotion.

She tore off a paper in the day calendar and saw the date: 18 April 2022. Her beloved's birthday. Her Preeta's birthday.

She jumped onto the sofa, took her mobile, and opened Preeta's chat box in WhatsApp. She smiled, reading her last message.

I'll seriously bite off your humongous head if you spend more time with that Akira!

Jealous Preeta was what made her talk like that. Ishika sent a message to her, after editing it 42896 times.

Happy Birthday to my sweetest Preeta! Be happy like this always and have more fun! Hakuna Matata and everything will be yours! Keep shining and smiling, and don't worry about me, I will be there with you as always!

Yours,

Chipmunk...

She locked the mobile and was watching Badhaai Do—which was about a lavender wedding of a gay and a lesbian—while planning how to propose to her love.

***

Two hours later, her mobile pinged, which made her squeal in happiness. She opened and read the WhatsApp message from Preeta.

Awww! Thank you so much, chipmunk! I really loved the message.

Well, if you're free today, can we catch up somewhere?

She hadn't expected the offer from her and she hooted aloud. Composing herself, she typed a message.

Yaar, sure! I'm very free today.

But where to meet, dude?

She started to think where and finally got a chilly place to chill.

How about Snow Kingdom?

Snow Kingdom?

Yeah! A nice spot to chill during this hot season.

Well... At what time?

"Yay!" She shrieked and pumped her fist in joy. Finally, the day has come for her.

At 3? Heat would be at peak only at that time.

Okay, then, fixed! See you then!

***

She looked at the heart-headed ring she bought for Preeta, and smiled widely. She locked it safely in the ring box, which also had a note.

"Ishika," she heard the voice she was longing for. She turned back and saw the birthday baby look drop-dead gorgeous in her red puffer jacket and torn jeans. Preeta had let her hair free, which looked suitable for her look.

"Happy birthday, Preeta," Ishika said, hugging her one-sided.

"Thank you so much!" Preeta said, kissing Ishika's forehead.