Estranged

Here's the winner of August Prompt "Azaadi" in our monthly contest series "Mohabbatein".

Here's "Estranged" by  Philitric

Relief was too small a word for what Siya felt.

The past six months that she had spent away from Rajesh were the happiest she had felt in a long time.

The court ordered reconciliation period had dragged on but it was still better than the three years of marriage she had endured in the name of "Izzat". Izzat or Honour, something that all women in Indian families are born with and have to keep intact till the day they die.

This beloved Izzat was the reason Siya had endured all forms of torture at the hands of her husband, the reason that she had ripped all happiness away from her life and married a man she didn't know, the reason she had let him go.

Keshav Anand.

She could picture his face in her mind clear as day even after four years. The day she had decided to choose her parents over him, the love of her life. Too bad that the last moment she had with him was full of tears and heartbreak. His face, so full of anguish, would forever be etched on her mind.

"Mrs Siya Sharma and Mr Rajesh Sharma," called the bored clerk.

She stood up almost at the same time as Rajesh. They locked eyes for the second time that day and walked towards the room.

The official looked bored and unbothered. For him, this was a menial task of getting signatures but for Siya, this was the moment that would free her from the shackles of slavery in the name of marriage. She would get her life back.

"Are both parties still proceeding with the Divorce?" he asked.

Siya stayed firm and flipped the pen in her hand, ready to sign.

"Are you sure you want to do this? You have thought about how it will reflect on your family? What your friends and neighbours will say?" Rajesh whispered.

Siya drew in a breath.

This wasn't very different to the route he had taken in the six months before the final hearing, He tried to coax her, threaten her and emotionally blackmail her. He had played every card.

She wasn't backing down. She was done.

"Where do I need to sign?" she asked ignoring everything he had said.

The clerk indicated the space on the document and Siya signed it with a deft hand in case it wasn't clear to Rajesh that she wasn't budging on this issue. Rajesh huffed and then snatched a pen from the table before signing his name too.

The weight that lifted off her chest made her feel euphoric. It felt like she was floating out of the room.

"Siya," Rajesh called.

Siya only half turned.

"I wish you all the best of luck in life," he said curtly.

Siya was slightly surprised at his parting words but concealed it.

"All the best to you too," she replied before she hailed an autorickshaw.

"Railway station," she told the driver.

The ride was fairly short. She got out of the autorickshaw, paid the driver and walked into the chaos of the Railway station. She inquired when the next train to Delhi left and was told it would leave in an hour.

She purchased her ticket and sat down on a bench.

The idea to leave her town had struck her just this morning. The day was one full of liberation so why not this unplanned journey? She had packed a small bag with only the barest essentials so it escaped the scrutiny of her parents.

Before long the train had pulled into the platform. She took her seat and soon the train was in motion. Every mile that separated her from the wretched town made her feel elated. Her thoughts were giddy and her heart aflutter.

She didn't know if she would succeed in what she had planned. There were so many variables, so many things that could go wrong. But she had to try.

The announcement that they were nearing Delhi woke her up from the light slumber. The train slowed to a stop and she got off. It was late in the evening.

Delhi was the place she had spent six years of her life in. It hadn't changed much. She hailed another autorickshaw and gave him the address she believed had remained the same.

As they neared her destination, apprehension and anxiety overtook all of the other emotions she was feeling.

She saw the building from a distance. This was it.

She took a deep breath before ringing the doorbell. She held her breath till she realized no one was answering. She rang it again. No answer.

She slumped at the doorstep in despair. She should have known this was a crazy plan. Why was she expecting he would still be living here after all these years. Why had she assumed he would even talk to her. Tears blurred her eyes.

"Siya?" A familiar deep voice startled her.

She jumped up and saw Keshav standing a few feet away with a cigarette in his hand. A moment of silence passed when they each took in the other person. It had been almost four years.

"You took up smoking again?" Siya broke the silence. Keshav looked at his cigarette self consciously.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, after a pause, still in disbelief.

"I divorced him," she blurted out automatically.

"What?"

"I left him. I know things have changed in all these years but I signed the papers, walked out and took the first train here. I wanted to- I needed to see you."

As she recounted all of it she realized how crazy it sounded.

"I am sorry. I should leave," she said embarrassed and started walking away.

Keshav flicked the half-smoked cigarette away and grabbed Siya's hand before kissing her with all that he had in her. It was four years worth of love, longing, anger, frustration and heartbreak channelled into this one kiss.

Siya kissed him back with equal fervour and felt the cracks in her heart healing slowly.

***