Muntazir

This is the winning entry for our January prompt - Nazare Hum Kya Dekhe - in our monthly contest series "Mohabbatein". Have a look at the entry that captured our attention the most! :)

Here's "Muntazir" by  anonymous__i  

As Zoya opened the window of her snug cottage, she was greeted with an icy cold wind. She sniffed and dusted the glass window before closing it once again.

Her nose was red and tears gathered around the corner of her eyes due to the chilly weather in Mussoorie. Her fingers felt stiff and so she decided to take a rest.

She settled herself on the tattered sofa which creaked in protest and turned on the television.

Her face lit up as the song 'Nazare hum kya dekhe' played and she was reminded of her husband, this had always been their song.

Ayan was a part of the Merchant Navy and it had been months since Zoya last saw him. Although they talked through video call, she missed the feeling of his arms wrapped around her.

She tapped her fingers along with the rhythm of the song and a thousand memories of Ayan filled her mind.

Her eyes fell on the photoframe kept on the television cabinet. It was a photo of her and Ayan's when they went skiing at the hills of Auli. Huge grins were plastered on their faces and they were covered in thick woolen clothes with vast snow covered lands in the background.

She closed her eyes and let her thoughts wander. She was counting every single day until he returned. Whenever Ayan was at home, they spent every single moment together. He made her feel loved and adored. She was missing him a lot lately, maybe she should just call him.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard a knock on the door. She furrowed her eyebrows together, wondering who it was.

She padded her way towards the wooden door and opened it only to find Ayan standing on the other side. His lips were uplifted in a grin and he was dressed casually. He opened his arms beckoning her to come closer, his black orbs taking her in.

Her eyes widened in shock and her jaw hit the ground. He told her that he wasn't coming home until next week. She stared at him completely gobsmacked.

As soon as she came out of her dazed self she enveloped him in a hug and wrapped her legs around his waist. She heard his deep chuckle as he placed his arms around her.

"I missed you so much, Zoya," he whispered softly and placed her on the ground.

"I missed you too," she replied and ushered him inside before closing the door behind them. They moved towards the living room and Ayan placed his bags in the corner. They settled themselves close to each other on the sofa and Zoya turned to him.

"You know, I was listening to our favourite song before you came," she said. "I am so elated."

He laughed and pulled her close towards him. "I wanted to surprise you. That is why I came early."

"I am glad you did so," Zoya whispered.

A feeling of content washed over her as she watched him. He looked so happy and carefree. Moments like this made her wonder if her life was surreal.

For her, Ayan was home.

"You know I am really cold and I hate to say this but please, pretty please can I have some tea?" he pleaded and joined his hands together for extra effect. "After that we'll spend the whole day in blankets with Raidan. By the way where is he?" he asked referring to their ten year old son.

"Oh, he is sleeping. He wasn't feeling well due to the cold so I told him to take rest," Zoya replied, smiling softly and made her way towards the kitchen to prepare tea for both of them.

She set the water on the stove and added the necessary ingredients. She let it boil before pouring it into two cups.

She held the cups in her hands soaking in the warmth radiating off them. As she reached the hall she handed one of them to Ayan and took a seat.

She rested her head on his shoulder while sipping her tea and his fingers combed through her hair. She closed her eyes feeling a thousand emotions all at once.

All of a sudden she felt a harsh shove on her shoulder which caused her to jolt out of her place. She looked up only to find her son looking down at her.

"Maa," he whispered softly. "I came to the kitchen and found you sleeping on the sofa. Come, you can sleep in my room."

"Where is your father?" Zoya asked looking around. He was here just a moment back, he must have gone to the bathroom.

"What?" Raidan whispered, thoroughly confused. "Maa there is no here except you and me and papa isn't coming back until next week."

"I-," Zoya trailed off as she realised she was hallucinating.

"Okay." Was all she managed to whisper as the song "nazare hum kya dekhe" came to an end, followed by a static noise from the television.

Mai yahan hu muntazir, tum wahan ho bekhabar.

The End