twenty-one

"And you said this to Professor Umbridge why?" Professor Flitwick was a calm man

"And you said this to Professor Umbridge why?" Professor Flitwick was a calm man. Even when James Potter and Sirius Black lived under the roof of Hogwarts. But he had a feeling that this toad of a woman was going to push his limit as soon as he heard the teen's explanation.

"She basically told us that Cedric's death was a magical accident and that we have nothing to worry about while Voldemort is planning his next attack behind closed doors." When The Headmaster had told him that the youngest Black sibling would be in his house he was shocked but asked to be filled in. Flitwick was from that moment on an honorary member of the Order of the Phoenix. It didn't stop him from flinching at her usage of the Dark Lord's name though.

  "Oh my, I shall bring this up with the Headmaster but for now you must go to your assigned detention as I am not the one who assigned it I cannot revoke it. My apologies Miss Black" The teen internally groaned but nodded "And Miss Black?"

  "Hmm?"

  "Good luck in potions"

  "Thank you Sir but there is no need for luck." Eri smiled at him lightly and collected her things to make her way to the dungeons for Potions with Snape.

-

Ryder, Carrie, and Mandy all caught up with Eri just before potions, in an attempt to warn her about Snape, but were only brushed off. Ryder told the other girls to avoid the topic of Umbridge around Eridanus so no one spoke about her outburst. They all four walked into the class and were met with all eyes on them. News spread fast in Hogwarts. 

  "You four. Sit." Eridanus' head spun to face the annoyed voice. 

  Ryder, Mandy, and Carrie moved to their seats, Eri stared at the man. There was something familiar about him, had they met before? 

  Oh 

  Oh no. 

  Snivellus Snape, the man she threw bread at. 

  Merlin the world was against her today. 

  They eventually survived through Potions without incident, Erindanus had made her potion with no mistakes, shocking even Snape though he would never admit it aloud. He knew how she had grown up, only a house elf by her side, it was incredible that she hadn't picked up on Kreacher's speech patterns, but he wasn't surprised when she had been able to do the potion without any help from him or her peers. 

  Regulus was always good in potions, as was Sirius. 

  Eri was the last one in the classroom, the teen walked up to Severus and bowed her head lightly 

  "I apologize for the way I acted at dinner not too long ago, I shouldn't have acted so disrespectfully towards an adult and I hope that I can gain your respect and trust back Sir."  The professor was taken aback by the teen's apology, shocked she would apologize for something that happened almost a month ago. 

  "Yes well, you will have to work for my respect, Miss Black, just because your lineage is respected by many doesn't mean you automatically have my respect." He dismissed her with the wave of a hand and watched as she walked out of the classroom. 

  She even walked away like Regulus. 

  Eridanus hurried away from the classroom, accepting the answer to her apology with as much grace and understanding she could. She kept her head low and her posture as straight as she could while rushing to catch up with her friends. 

-

  When lunch came around Eri mentioned to her newfound friends that she wanted to eat alone for today. Ryder warned her to stay away from the Whomping Willow before sending her out the correct door and to the beautiful school grounds. 

  All of her friends saw through her lie about wanting to see the grounds better, she was hiding from prying eyes after her first class and outburst. Rumors were already going around about how she was just as evil as the rest of the Blacks. 

-

  Eri found a nice tree by the Black Lake and sat under that, she removed her school robe and undid her blue and silver tie slightly, she pulled out an apple and the copy of 'Quidditch Through the Ages' Remus and Ryder gifted her for her birthday from her school bag before losing interest and starting on the essay Snape had given earlier in class. As Eri wrote she played with the Snitch necklace Harry gave her that hung around her neck. 

  "Miss Black." Eridanus jumped, luckily pulling her quill up fast enough to not cause any stray markings on her parchment. 

  "Professor McGonagall, what can I do for you?" She sighed out, setting her quill in the portable ink well that Mad-Eye swore up and down that she would thank him for later, which she would be the second she got up into her dorm and could write him a letter. 

  "I was just wondering if you're adjusting well to Hogwarts? You don't seem to be having any problems just yet, you're more ahead it seems than some of our best students." Minerva hesitated with the word problems, having heard about the outburst from Flitwick before her second class. 

  "I'm adjusting well Ma'am, thank you for thinking of me. I do have a question though." The older woman raised an eyebrow "Do you always learn spells without your wands or is this something new?" Eridanus handed McGonagal the book she picked up for DADA.

  "No, we don't. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will be talking with the Headmaster about this immediately Miss Black." 

  Eri nodded before letting out a sigh of relief for her education. 

  "Oh and Professor?" 

  "Yes, Miss Black?" 

  "Could you call me Eridanus or Eri, please? Miss Black makes me sound like my mother." 

  Minerva thought she was back in 1973

  "Minnie?"

  "Yes, Mr. Black?" 

  "I don't like that name, would you call me Sirius please?" 

  "And why do you not like it?" 

  "It makes me sound like my parents." 

  "Out of my classroom Sirius."

  "Of course Eridanus, have a wonderful day." She nodded at the teen 

  "You too Professor!" Eri called out to her as she walked away.