Chapter 39: Over Ice (Part 1)

Adelaide began to stand up, and as her feet began bearing her weight in its entirety, it was at that moment that she realized she may have had a bit more wine with her feast than she thought.

Nerves from the morrows wedding had her sipping deeper from her cup than usual, that, mixed with the exhaustion of a long day of preparation made her an easy target for the affects of the alcohol. Steadying herself against the table, she graciously walked around it and took the hand of the prince.

The hitching of his breath as their flesh met did not go unnoticed, nor did the sparks of warmth and the fizzling of the goosebumps up her own arm at his touch. The power of their physical connection, despite the last few days apart, had not tamed in the slightest.
He smiled at her, but it was only his mouth that did, the expression did not spark into his eyes.

"I'm sure you've already been told how lovely you look tonight."
He said, taking her into his arms as the melodious waltz music began to play.
She felt a scratch at her heart, like the striking claw of a barn kitten.
"Thank you."
The words escaped her slower than she intended, and for a moment she contemplated if it was the alcohol or his warm, safe, embrace that caused it.
His scent, and the wine in her belly was a potent mix.
"For... for everything." She quickly and quietly added.

"You know there is no need."
He smiled again, but this time the shine did travel slightly up to his dark eyes.
"Tell me, is stableboy watching us?"
Iolas changed the subject, a tinge of mischief returning to his voice, the question sounded almost hopeful, a troublemaker through and through.
She turned to look, and instead of the look of concern and or jealousy that she knew the prince was hoping for, she saw instead that Simon was rarther intently focused on the rest of his meal.
"No." She replied with a slight giggle.
"How disappointing." Iolas shook his head. "I was quite hoping to rile him up at least once more before we parted, for old times sake."
This made the Queen laugh again.

After a few more rounds Adelaide became unsure if it was the room spinning, or them.
"Iolas..." she groaned slightly, lulling her eyes.
Concerned, he stopped waltzing and pulled her out of the way of the other dancers on the now crowded floor.
"Whats the matter?" He asked.

"Umm, well, this is rather embarrassing, as it has never happened before, but... it appears I may have over consumed. I think I need to lie down."
She answered.
"Oh?" He laughed, this time heartily, burying his face in his palm.
"Your drunk!"

His hand still in hers, he led her through the crowd and back to the table.
"Sir Simon."
He greeted the burly blond who had a mouthful of roast chicken.
"It appears your queen is exhausted from the days activities. I shall escort her to her chambers so that she may retire, is that alright with you?"

Simon raised a suprised eyebrow.
Opened his mouth to speak, but then quickly shut it, as if the words had been stolen from him.
"I ask again, is that alright with you?"
Repeated Iolas after another moment of awkward silence.
This snapped the Former stableboy out of his stupor.
"Why yes of course it is. I'm sorry, I'm just not used to you asking my consent for anything. Suprised is all."
He shrugged, his blond locks bobbing around his face as he did.
Iolas chuckled.
"Believe you me, I am suprised myself."
He held out an elbow for the Queen.
"Come along, Highness."

Adelaide linked her arm through his and he led her out of the quiet ballroom.
They walked in silence, as Adelaide focused on putting one foot in front of the other, the affects of the well aged alcohol felt as if it were taking more of a toll on her with each step.
They reached her door and Iolas opened it for her.
There was no guard posted outside, undoubtedly whomever that job belonged too was still downstairs at the party.

"I guess this is where we bid our farewells. You are to be married in the morning, and for my sake, my ship will have sailed by then."
He sighed heavily, the sting of pain whipping him again for the millionth time in the last few days.
He saw her eyes welling up in the dimly lit light of the hallway.
"Iolas... I, I, don't even know what to say..." She stuttered.

"Than maybe its best we don't say anything." He confirmed, holding open his arms for a farewell embrace.
Without a second thought she walked right into them, and pulled herself tightly too him, burying her face in his neck. He wanted to be sad, to allow himself to grieve the loss of a love that could not be, but the sudden feeling of her lips grazing his neck just at the edge of his collar suddenly had him feeling anything but sadness.
A spark of lust quickly ignited in his chest, burning away the ember of grief.

"Oh god... You smell so good. Why do you always have to smell so good?" She began mumbling into his skin.
"Like the sweetest flower in all of hell."
She cooed, clearly less than sober.
A groan escaped him, and he felt his blood pooling towards his serpent as if drawn their by the devil himself.
Collecting himself, he grabbed Adelaide by the shoulders and gently pulled her away from his neck.
"My love... you cannot speak to me that way. Not now, not like this. Not when we are alone together. My heart cannot bear it."
My love.  Those first two words and the way he said them seemed to intoxicate her even further.
She gulped silently, staring up at him blankly. A moment of silence passed between them.
He wanted to speak again, to say something important, or meaningful, something she would remember, something that would be worthy of being the last thing he ever said to her; but with her face just inches from his own, staring up at him in her semi-drunken haze, nothing came. Instead he moved a hand to her cheek, caressing it softly, willing his fingers to remember every detail of her soft skin.
His gentle was too much for the queen in her current state, and previously heavily guarded desire crept up on her with a vengeance. It took not even half a second for her to close the distance between their mouths.