Chapter Eight: Cold Company*

Dedicated to: NotawolfNamedDarky

_____

"You just keep going until something clever occurs to you."
-Iolas from Hercules The Legendary Journeys. (My favorite TV show and Hercules sidekick, the character for whom this book's Iolas is named after)

 (My favorite TV show and Hercules sidekick, the character for whom this book's Iolas is named after)

_________________

Iolas awoke to the sounds of the enemy camp being packed away.
The rustle of canvas being folded and fires being doused told him so despite his lack of view from inside the wagon.

He rubbed the tiredness from his eyes with the back of his hand, surprised at himself for having fallen asleep amidst such captive circumstance.
He rubbed the stiffness from his neck as he turned to look at the girl still pressed tightly against his chest in sleep.

It was she who was the source of his exhaustion, for the previous night before this, not long after he had initially fallen asleep, he had awoken sharply in his chambers from a rather intense dream that involved the young queen gloriously naked and all tangled up with him. His emotions a mixture of disgust, confusion and lust, he had spent the rest of that night awake, trying to fend off the lurid dreams that he knew would return if he fell asleep once more without a clear head.

This is why he had been unable to speak to her the previous day, why he had been so formal, almost cold to her.

With a sigh, he gave into the urge to stare at her. She was truly beautiful; with her long red hair and soft pale skin, brushing it back and away from her eyes, he noted the small freckles the same shade as her locks that speckled across her nose and the apples of her cheeks. His jacket looked perfect on her, the white color capturing her inner innocence in a way that was always lost on him.
Seeing her in something of his sent a strange surge through his body.
Confused, he tried to place it.
Protectiveness, and perhaps something else, though he was not yet willing to admit the latter, not even to himself.
He realized, taking a sigh, that his promise was no longer just a repetition of his fathers order. He truly wished to keep her safe, even at the cost of his own life. His actions, and the emotions he experienced during their capture last night were proof of that.

Adelaide was jolted awake by the sound of a heavy key tumbling the lock of the barred wagon. The door swung open, and Iolas wrapped his arm more securely around her.

A weasley little man with cracked bull's horns crookedly attached to a simple copper helmet opened the doors and sneered at Iolas before glaring down at Adelaide with the most disgusting look of perversity.
Iolas pulled her even closer, returning the sneer with a death glare.

"Easy there pretty boy, I'm only admiring the merchandise."
He snorted, setting down the food at their feet.
He shot the queen a repulsive wink before leaving and locking the door behind him.