Chapter 41: Ice Breaker (Part 2)

Simon watched as Adelaide hurriedly made her way out of the church, mumbling apologies to almost everyone she passed. The towns people whispered loudly amongst themselves, they had just witnessed more drama in the last two minutes then at even the most top billed play, or death defying circus. After a moment to register the shock, the towns people cautiously filed out of the church to follow her.

Only when vicar shut the Bible loudly  did Simon realize he had just been left at the alter. He smiled just slightly at the irony of it, of who it was she was running for. Of all the other men in the world, it had to be him.
But no jealousy filled him instead, no bitterness, instead of thinking about her, another equally beautiful woman was on his mind.

He scanned the room, searching the near empty pews, vacated with the exception of his family, mother father and siblings all staring at him quite dumbfounded. Ignoring them, he continued his search for tanned skin, midnight eyes and long, chocolate brown hair. He found Delilah leaning against the wall in the back corner of the holy building, rubbing her shoulders and staring blankly at the floor. Nervously he tugged at his jacket before smoothing it out. With a deep breath, he walked towards the woman.

"Delilah..." He tentatively tried to gain her attention. "I can't believe it..."
She seems to mutter to herself.
"In front of all those people."
He found her emotions unreadable, unable to tell if she was angry, frightened, embarrassed or shocked.

"Delilah, please look at me." He begged softly, wanting to reach out and touch her, but she seemed flighty so he dared not to risk it. To his suprise, her gaze slowly starts to rise.
"Did you mean it?" She asks, hands still trying to massage away the goosebumps on her shoulders.
"When I said I was in love with you?" He responded. "I did. I am. I do, but you knew that already."

"But your Princess?" She looked like she was having a hard time believing it, despite the fact that the other woman had literally just run out of the church to chase another man.
"Back in cabin, that was as close to heaven as a man can ask for, never in my life has another person made me feel more welcomed, understood and accepted." He explained, taking another step closer to her, till his shadow completely overcast the sunlight that shined down upon her through the multicolored stained glass window.
"Not even her."
He shook his head.
"When I'm with you..." Sinon reached out and stroked her soft locks with the back of his hand. "Everything fits. I can be who I am, not whom I'm needed to be." He took a small breath before continuing. "Now I'm not sorry for putting my country first, for letting my honor blind me to what my heart was screaming." He explained with eyes downcast. "You see, after all Aelford has been through, I couldn't allow myself to feel feelings that would put the country in jeopardy, I'm not sorry for that, but I do wish I could be." He admitted quietly. "But when I stood up there... it finally hit me, everything I felt for you, the sheer weight of it... Delilah, I love you."

In a flash her strong hands are around his neck, he raised his gaze and saw that tears adorned her sunkissed cheeks. Tentatively the former stable boy wrapped his arms around her waist, she was much taller then Adelaide, standing just a few inches shorter then himself,
Simon could feel her warm, nervous but beckoning breath on his lips,  so slowly he leaned forward and kissed her. It was magic, the way her lips connected with his, the answer to all his questions, the quenching of all his fears. He breathed in her rich, inescapable mountain scent as he quickly deepened the kiss, pulling her against his chest possessively. How ironic is it that a violent wave of lust slapping against him is what makes him instantly pull away. He was met with a look of dazed confusion. Her eyes wide and her lips swollen from their rough kiss, Delilah wondered if she had done something wrong.

Without a word he snatched her hand and dragged her to the alter.
"Marry us!" He snapped at the holy man,   who had quietly begun packing away the alter after his church had been abruptly vacated. "What? Now?!?" Delilah gasped but he ignored her.
"Pardon me my child?" The robed vicar all but stumbled backwards, in the midst of extinguishing the hundreds of candles that lined the front of the church.
"You heard me Father. Please marry us now."

"Absolutely not. This is highly improper, their are proper channels that must be followed, and for decency sakes, I was just about to wed you to another." The white robed figure refused, crossing his arms and shaking his head.
"Father, I've loved this woman for quite some time now, and whether you marry us or not I will have her in my bed tonight." Simon said crassly and he heard his mother gasp in shock, but he ignored it.
"And if a child is conceived of it, the fate of its immortal soul will be on your conscience. So once again father, I ask you, marry us!"
Simon demanded.

The priest narrowed his eyes, but soon relented. "Very well."
When he turned to retrieve his Bible and various instruments, Simon looked at Delilah for the first time since dragging her to the alter.
Her lips had pulled into a thin line at his profanity towards the clergy.
He pulled her into a hug.
"Forgive the crass dramatics my dear, you know that is not who I am, but I had no choice. I refuse to walk out of yet another church not married to you."
The purse of his lips faded and she let out a small chuckle.
"Alright Simon, alright."

The ceremony was shorter and lacking the royal embellishments of his previous one. This was a bare bones union in the eyes of God, quick, plain and simple. When he pulled back from their sealing kiss, he happily encased her into a warm hug.

"Though I am sure they are less than please with me at the moment, would you... do you wanna go meet my family?" He asked, belly full of butterflies and hope. 

"I'd love too." She grins.