Chapter 41: Ice Breaker (Part 3)

"Stop that ship!"
Adelaide yelled as loudly as she could, lungs burning from running to the port with the front of her gown bundled in her arms.
The back of her dress was splattered with mud, but in the moment, how she looked was the last thing on her mind.
Luckily her voice was heard before the last rope had been detached from the port.

Iolas was below in his cabin, doing his best not to sulk, as he had done so much of that in the last few days. The ball of grief and anxiety building in his stomach as he listened above for the familiar noises of the ship preparation to launch. The sound of the first two of the three mooring ropes splashing into the water as they were untied from the dock brought him some small comfort, and the prince found himself holding his breath in anticipation of the splash that third and final rope; the one that would free the ship from the dock, almost as if it would free his heart from this land along with it.

His lungs began to burn, and his anticipation soon turned to frustration as he awaited familiar feeling of the ship freeing itself from the harbor and sailing into the cold but bright ocean. Gasping for air he sat up in his bed and pulled back on his boots. What on earth was keeping them? He marched out of his cabin, fully prepared to yell at whomever it was that was holding the ship up, and keeping him from a small release of his inner turmoil.

His fist balled in frustration as he saw the gangway ramp being lowered back towards the dock. Quickly assuming one of his soldiers or sailors had shown up to the dock late, he barreled towards it to look down at the inconsiderate and tardy fool. His anger quickly became shock when instead of a hungover islesman, he instead saw the reason for his grief.
Adelaide stood at the edge of the dock, the front of her white wedding dress balled up in her hands, panting and out of breath. His breath caught in his throat when her eyes found his. Even with some mud splattered on her long white train, she was an absolute vision.

Something terrible must have happened. He quickly assumed by her look of distress.
"Commander, ready the men!"
He ordered.
"Oh God, Adelaide, what happened?"
He called out fearfully, clambering down the ramp the instant it touched the dock.
Taking her hands he quickly examined her.
"Did the barbarians escape?"

"No, no, no. Everything's fine. Your men can stand down."
She awkwardly stuttered out.
"Then what is it? What are doing here?"
He questioned, raising a confused eyebrow.
"Capturing the dragon."
Her sentence made no sense, but when her hands went to the side of his face and she kissed him, the poetic statement became crystal clear.

Her kiss warmed him to his bones and all traces of the pain in his heart escaped.
Slightly surprised he pulled back.
"But.... but what about your stable boy?"
He asked, but spoke up again before she could answer.
"Never mind that, I don't actually care."
He laughed villainously before pulling her back into the kiss.

Once every single unsaid feeling had been confirmed through their passionate embrace, she pulled back breathless and wrapped her arm under his shoulders.
"I take it you didn't marry him."
He chuckled into her hair.
"No, as I stood at that alter I realized that for the third time in my life, I was about to marry the wrong man."
She laughed back.
"Some offense taken."
He shook his head.

"So I cannot allow you to leave."
She said semi sternly.
"Allow me?"
He half-heartedly scoffed.
"On what grounds am I to be your captive?"
"Well, although it was with nefarious intent, you did legally betroth yourself to me last summer. I am now demanding you honor it."
She said matter of factly.

"Seeing as I am legally bound, I guess I have no other option, Princess."
He noted the towns people pooling onto the dock behind her.
"I shall have my captain marry us at once!" He announced loudly, so that all his men and all the citizens could hear.
"Here?" Now!?" She gasped, it was highly improper.
"Do not keep me from honoring my duty as quickly and efficiently as possible."
He whispered to her with a cheeky grin.

"Ah yes, of course. I would be honored to be married by the head of your fleet. Who protected the people of my land so selflessly and who helped to rescue me from the clutches of the horde. "
She announced loudly once she realized a great deal of her subjects had now congregated to watch this dramatic spectacle. 
Iolas did love his games, but two could play.

The ceremony was quick and the kiss they shared at the end of it was much more chaste than all of their previous, suitable of their stations and the public viewing.
The crowd erupted into cheers as the new couple walked hand in hand back towards the castle, and soon the whole city was in celebration.

_______________________