chapter two

It was with relief when I say that a new Greenie came up, just as confused and scared as the rest of us. This time, the Creators had brought us a muscular Asian boy named Minho. He was around 5'8" and didn't talk much. After a few days though, his tough outer-shell had dissolved and revealed a hard-working, sassy boy with a good heart. He worked in the Bloodhouse a lot, but you wouldn't know since he came around the garden so much.

"Is Minho around?" I asked, my brown eyes sweeping the Glade. I saw no sign of the dramatic boy, which was unusual.

"Nah, Alby made him stay in the Bloodhouse to work. Did you need him?" Newt asked in his thick British accent.

I brushed hair out of my face, finished planting the last corn plant in the row, and squinted up at him. The sun illuminated him nicely and reflected off his handsome features.

"No, actually. I needed to talk to you but I didn't want him knowing yet," I explained. When he raised an eyebrow and I knew he was listening, I started talking. "I had a talk with Alby and we decided that I will be going and exploring what is past the walls. I'm going out there tomorrow."

Newt put down his shovel and sat down on the dirt in front of me. I smiled at him as he stared at me. After a few minutes of eye-contact, he responded to my statement.

"Nope. Absolutely not. I've seen those bloody Grievers and I don't want you anywhere near them."

I rolled my eyes and frowned. "You don't get to make that decision for me. What- you really think I'm doing it just for funsies? So that I can enjoy a world full of sunshine and happiness that I wouldn't want to share? I'm doing it to protect you guys, find a way out of here and save us."

His face, previously stony, had softened a bit and he reached out to take my hands. I didn't pull away and let him rub circles with his thumbs on the back of my hands. No matter how angry I was, his touch comforted me.

"Fine. Then I'm coming with you. I understand your urge to protect, but I can't let you go out alone. I mean, who knows the dangers out there? There will be better chances of finding a way out if we go together."

I sighed and reached up to ruffle his hair. A small smile bloomed on my own face and was mirrored back when I agreed to let him go with me. Alby was reluctant to allow both of us to go, but when Newt and I teamed up at dinner to tell him our plan, he agreed.

"You ready?" Newt asked as I bent down to lace up my boots. I nodded and followed him to the entrance of the walls. On the count of three, he took my hand and led me into a winding pattern of concrete tunnels.

"Dude, keep up," I joked, turning the corner and laughing at a wheezing Newt.

"I'm trying. How do you even run a couple miles still looking gorgeous as ever and not getting tired?"

I stopped running and blushed. Newt had called me gorgeous. I was getting tired and the longer we ran and tried to memorize every turn and alleyway, the more my lungs burned with each breath. I didn't let it show, though. I couldn't.

I shrugged and read the time on my black watch. Watches were just one benefit of being a Runner. I suggested we get back to the Glade and even slowed down a little so that Newt could catch his breath. When we reached the Glade, I bypassed Alby and Minho and went straight to the Map Room.

The Map Room was one we hadn't used yet. It was a squat iron building with a thick metal door. Inside, empty trunks and a large wooden table were the only furniture. The room smelled like copper mingled with a little bit of blood. Newt and I took seats next to each other and set a piece of paper between us. Together, we mapped the walls and tried to see what it was.

"It's a maze," I breathed in wonder, staring at the lines. Newt wrote the section of the maze and date at the top and examined the paper.

"You're right! We should tell Alby," he suggested.

I ignored the suggestion and rested my head on his shoulder. Running a mile before bed was completely different from running multiple miles.

"Later," I mumbled. "Dinner first."

I stood up and moved towards the door, Newt following close behind. I leaned into him as we walked to go get tonight's dinner, steak and beans, and tried not to blush as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders. That was the night I knew. That was the night I realized I had a crush on Newt.