chapter fourteen

"Threaten me again and I'll feed you to the Grievers without hesitation. You don't think I will? Try me, Alby. See if I give a damn when you're being ripped to shreds."

Somebody placed a hand on my shoulder. "Alright, that's enough El. The walls aren't shutting and we need to get the Gladers into the Homestead," Newt said.

His statement snapped me out of it. I moved away from Ellie and turned to my partner.

"Okay, what do we do?"

Newt laid out a plan and had everyone running around in a few minutes. The Builders gathered spare pieces of wood to patch up the windows of the Homestead while the Cooks gathered food and flashlights. Minho disappeared to go do something and Newt herded the Gladers into the Homestead while I took care of Teresa.

Newt came up next to me and pulled me into a hug. Thomas appeared a few seconds later and pulled Teresa into a hug.

"I love you," Newt whispered into my ear.

"I know, dear. I love you too."

I gave him a weak smile and hopped down into the Slammer. Teresa removed herself from Thomas and hopped down into the box next to me. Both boys looked down on us with sadness.

"Are you sure you're going to stay in the Slammer?" Newt asked.

I nodded. "I want to stay with Teresa. Thomas, I need you to take care of Chuck for tonight. I'll be safer here anyways. Keep the Gladers safe, Newt, I trust you."

He slammed the metal doors shut and I heard the jangle of keys as he locked it. The only source of light came from a small panel in the door, just big enough so that a human hand could reach through. I sighed and sat down on the cool mud. The Slammer was basically a prison built into the ground, with nothing but a crooked three-legged stool for furniture. I heard Teresa plop down a few feet from me and reached out to her.

"It'll be okay. They'll be okay," I said, not entirely believing my own words.

She found my hand and squeezed it. "I hope you're right. So, Ellie, you and Newt. Tell me about you guys."

I smiled to myself as I recalled how we met. I recited memories of catching each other's eyes and bursting into laughter or staring at the stars and having late night talks. I recalled the comfort I felt whenever he was near and the way his eyes lit up when he smiled.

"He's perfect. Honestly, I don't know how I ended up with someone so flawless. I don't deserve him. Enough about me. Tell me a little about yourself."

I heard Teresa chuckle and could sense her smiling. "Well, I don't have much to say. Promise me you won't tell anyone this, but I can do telepathy. Like talk inside people's heads. I have telepathy with Tom and a boy named Aris. I want to have a family to grow up and I want to do something that matters. I would like to be a nurse or maybe a secretary if I could."

It seemed so odd to think of her, of any of us, having normal lives. After all, life was anything but normal right now. Before I could respond, I heard the sound of whirring machinery and the ripping of wood. Not even caring, I scooted closer to Teresa and leaned into her side.

"I'm sorry, but those things, the Grievers, and I don't have a really good history. They've almost killed me more than once," I whispered.

She seemed to understand and rested her arm around my shoulders. The sound of ripping wood continued. I leaned closer to Teresa, now resting my head on her shoulder. She smelled good, like flowers and sweat. I could feel her squeezing my hand tightly, almost to the point that it was painful.