chapter sixteen

When I reached him, I could see Griever stings all over his body. His face was scrunched up in pain and his breathing was ragged, but he was alive.

"What were you thinking? How could you be so bloody stupid? You could've died!" Newt shouted.

Thomas opened his eyes just a sliver and looked at the older boy. "No...you don't understand...the memories."

Realization hit me as a couple other Gladers took his legs and arms and started to carry him back towards the Homestead. I heard that shouting and a blur of voices, but I couldn't seem to hear what they were saying as the world around me began to spin.

My stomach churned. My legs carried me to the Deadheads and up a tree. I was worried about falling out of the tree by the way the world was tipping, but amazingly, I never fell. The tears came shortly after the nausea. Tommy had at least a dozen stings, he might not make it. The hot tears streamed down my face and soaked the sleeves of my shirt.

He didn't need to do what he did. Thomas just risked his life and for what? Some memories? I had mine and I'd have gladly given them up if he just asked. I cried so much that my eyes were probably rimmed in red and my throat was scratchy. I shifted and felt myself falling.

I didn't even attempt to grab the thick branch I was perched on. I hit the ground with a muffled thud. Searing pain raced through my chest like a lightning strike. I sat up as best I could and gingerly touched my ribcage. The fall had broken a rib.

That was it. The pain was the last and final straw. Almost as if I was possessed, I started walking determinedly towards the entrance to the maze. I was no longer empathic or sad. All I felt was white hot anger. I wanted revenge and I'd get it, even if I had to battle a hundred Grievers and lose my life in the process. I wanted blood. Specifically the blood of the bastards who put us here.

"Where do you think you're going?" Minho demanded as I reached the South entrance.

I rolled my eyes and pointed into the dark corridors of the maze. Gray morning had yet to come. I waited for him to move, but he remained resolutely in my way. I tried to push past him, but his arms wrapped around me and kept me from descending into the maze. I kicked and clawed at him, yelling at him to let me go. Finally, my hand found my back pocket and I pulled out my favorite little knife.

"Ellie, relax, you are going to get yourself hurt!" Minho shouted, taking a few cautious steps back.

"How thick are you? That's the point! You've always been naive, haven't you? There is no escape from this place. You don't know what I saw, Minho, you don't understand. I'm either going to get out of here or die trying. Now move out of my way," I snarled.

When Minho didn't move, I raised the blade to my neck. The silver glinted in the moonlight and I could see Minho's face contort in fear. I took another step towards the maze, then another, until I was past Minho and officially out of the Glade.

Ellie? Are you okay? a voice asked. It wasn't out loud, but it was like inside my head. It was a female's voice and she sounded young, like me.

I screwed my eyes shut and concentrated on responding. Who are you?

It's Virginia. I think you know who I am.

Relief and immense sadness flooded through me. Yeah, I know you. You're my twin sister. How-how are you talking to me?

I could sense relief through our weird connection. She responded within a minute. Good. I don't know how we can do this telepathy thing. I miss you and I can sense anger and fear from you. Stay safe, okay? I want to meet you someday.

It felt like a bubble inside my chest popped. I looked out at the Glade, I hadn't realized my eyes had opened, and back at the maze. I had a choice to make. Back down and rejoin the Gladers or go commit suicide in the maze. Virginia's words repeated themselves in my head. I want to meet you someday. That short sentence, only 6 words, was my answer.

I slowly closed the knife and returned it to my back pocket. Before any words could be spoken, I flung my arms around Minho's neck.

"Thank you," I whispered in his ear. "I'm sorry."

Minho hugged me back in his brotherly way for longer than necessary, but I really didn't mind. In fact, if he had let go immediately, I might have just hung it all up and gone to visit the Grievers. When I finally let go, I smiled at him and went off to find Newt.

I found him pacing back and forth across our bedroom and knocked on the doorframe. He turned to look at me, his beautiful eyes red-rimmed. I bit my lip and opened my arms. He crossed the room in three strides and enveloped me in a tight embrace.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," I mumbled into his neck.

He pulled back and looked down at me. His face was scrunched up in confusion. "What are you sorry for?"

I didn't know how to tell him. Minho would probably say something to him later, but for now, I needed to at least give him some idea. Without any other ideas coming to mind, I lifted up my t-shirt. Newt bent down to expect my bruised and purple ribs and brushed them with his fingertips. Now that I wasn't overwhelmed with emotion, I could feel the full extent of the searing pain from my ribs.

"She reached out to me. My sister, she talked to me inside my head. But, um, that's not all. My ribs aren't really a part of it. Everything got to me and I just didn't care. I almost committed suicide, Newt. After all that's happened, that's the first time I was so ready to die."

I stepped away from him and crossed my arms protectively over my ribs. Newt stood up and kind of glared at me.

"You said you loved me," he whispered so quietly I barely heard it. "How could you just give up and stop caring like I don't matter to you? You lied. You don't love me. You never did, you bloody liar. You only love yourself."

I looked up at him, unable to believe how insensitive he was being. Did he really think that?

"What the hell is wrong with you? Maybe I was wrong. I actually thought we were perfect for each other, but what you just said proved me wrong. How do you think you got your limp, huh? Suddenly you're perfect and I'm a liar. You know what- I should have just slit my throat then and there."

I knew my words were harsh, but I didn't stop there.

"Actually, Newt, that'd be convenient for you, wouldn't it? I'd say I hate you, but then you'd be right. I am not a liar and you know it. I'd die for you and you wouldn't do the same for me. I'd take a bullet for you. I'm willing to die the most gruesome, painful death for you but I don't love you now? I'm done with you, with this whole place. I'd rather stay with the Grievers than spend another second here with you."

As I turned to leave, Newt grabbed my arm. When I turned on him, I was surprised to see tears forming in his eyes.

"Ellie, please stay. You're right, I'm sorry. I love you and I'd forever hate myself if I pushed you to the edge. I give a damn about you every single day. You're all I ever think about. Ever since Thomas and his little girlfriend arrived, I've been under a lot of stress. I know you have been, too."

His face showed true sorrow and regret. No matter how much I tried to hate him, I couldn't help but love him. We stared at each other for a moment before I took two steps towards him and kissed him fully on the lips. He kissed me back, fueling the long kiss with all the anger and sadness from our fight.

Somehow, we managed to go from screaming at each other to laying under the bedsheets together, panting and smiling at each other. I leaned into Newt's face so that our foreheads pressed up each other and our noses touched.

"We should make up every fight this way," I whispered.

He only smiled and pressed his lips to mine again.