chapter eighteen

A/N: I'm sorry it's short, but it's just a cute moment between Ellie and Newt. 

"Yes, killing is part of the plan. The Creators want the best of us for whatever they have planned, but we have to earn it. The code was hidden in the walls of the maze for a reason. I would know, I was there when they did it."

Everyone went completely silent and exchanged baffle looks. Minho was the first to break the silence.

"Thomas, what do you mean?"

Thomas took a deep breath and squeezed my hand. I gave him a small encouraging smile.

"There's a reason I have different memories than Alby. Teresa and I.. we're different. We were used by the Creators to help create the Maze. We built this place. I remember that Ellie helped with the maze, too," Thomas revealed.

I looked at him and nodded. He took another deep breath and revealed that him and Teresa were telepathic. I stepped away from everyone and leaned into Thomas' side. It was my way of showing support. He put his arm around my shoulders and looked ashamed of himself.

"Listen to me, they forced us to help them. This is my way of showing you guys that you can trust us, trust me. I don't know how or why they chose us, but regardless, they still sent us in here with you guys. Teresa and I have to fight the same battles and can die just as easily as everyone else. We need to use the code to get out of here," Thomas concluded.

When he looked up, he drew back in surprise. Instead of angry, scowling faces, he saw smiles. Newt was the first to break the silence this time.

"Keep talking about this escape," he said.

Thomas looked relieved and laid out his plan for everyone. According to him, we would have to go down the chute we found a week or so ago. Grievers would be waiting for us and it would be very dangerous. When he finished, almost everyone looked convinced. Except for Alby. The ex-leader stood up and glared at Thomas with his hands already forming fists as his sides.

"Now you're just being a shuck idiot. Or a traitor. How do we know this isn't a trap? I mean, you built this place and put us here. How do we know this isn't something to get us all killed? We can't battle a single Griever on our own grounds, much less battle a whole horde of them in their home. What are you up to Greenie?" Alby demanded.

"What am I up to? I put my life on the line for you guys! Alby, you'd be dead if it wasn't for me!" Thomas shot back.

Alby's eyes seemed to pop out of his head from anger. I stepped between the two boys and pushed him backwards.

"Newt, dear, wrap this up, will you? Alby and I need to have a chat outside."

Thomas looked relieved as I led Alby by the arm out of the Meeting House. I stopped walking a few yards away from the Meeting House and raised an eyebrow.

"What is your problem, Alby? Ever since you got stung, you've been irrational and wacked in the head. I don't care how bad home is compared to the Glade because I've seen it too. We can't stay here forever, Alby, so get off your ass and lead or I will. You have a choice- come with me and Thomas or die," I said, jabbing a finger into his chest.

Alby frowned and looked out at the maze. I knew he was in deep thought, probably debating his choices. I left him to his thoughts and retreated to the Deadheads. The meeting didn't disband until after 3:00, approximately 2 and a half hours after it started. I knew because I watched the lights in the Meeting House go out from a tree branch.

I heard crunching footsteps below and didn't bother looking down. I knew it was Newt by the way his right foot dragged slightly.

"So, what did you decide?" I asked.

"Most of them sided with Tommy. Speaking of the bloody idiot, he offered to get himself killed. According to his little plan, only one person might need to die to satisfy the Grievers. After that person is sacrificed, we can go on our jolly way and get the hell out of here. We're leaving tomorrow night."

I sighed and patted the bark of the tree by me. "Come sit with me."

Newt climbed up and sat where the thick branch met the trunk. I scooted backwards so that my body was between his legs. I leaned my head back on his chest and played with his fingers that rested in my lap.

"I can't believe I helped make this place. Even though I didn't really have a choice, I'm kind of glad I came here. It's so pretty, isn't it?" I asked, gesturing to the overlook of the Glade with my hand.

Newt rested his head on my shoulder and lazily nodded. In that moment, I never felt more protected and safe. In that moment, we didn't need words or actions to show our love. We didn't need to have sex or even show any affection to love each other and that was the greatest thing I could ever ask for.

"Will you be my wife?" Newt asked out of the blue.

"Aren't we a bit young?"

"I don't know. All I know is that we could die at any given time and I want you to be my wife. Will you?"

I smiled and interlaced our fingers. "I'd love to be your wife. I officially claim you as my husband now."

Newt slipped his hand out of mine and reached into his pocket. He pulled out two rings, a silver and bronze band, and slipped the silver one onto my left ring finger.

"That officially makes you my wife. Do you like it? Alby helped me make it."

I held out my hand and admired the ring. It was just a simple metal band, but I loved it nonetheless. "I don't just like it, I love it. Oh, Newt, I'm hopelessly devoted to you."