chapter nineteen

The day went by too quickly. By 2:00 in the afternoon, I found Thomas and pulled him into an empty room.

"Ellie, what-"

He didn't finish his sentence before I flung my arms around his neck and shoved my face into the side of his neck.

"You can't do it, Thomas, I won't let you," I said between sobs. It was a rare occurrence to cry in front of someone other than Newt and the feeling was foreign to me.

"Ellie, what are you talking about?"

I wiped my tears away with the back of my hand and looked him in the eye.

"I won't let you sacrifice yourself. I won't, Tommy. If you're right and only one poor schmuck needs to die, then I'll do it. I'll sacrifice my life for the sake of everyone else's, but I can't let you do it."

Thomas grimaced and hugged me again, this time burying his face into my hair.

"I'm sorry, Ellie, I have to. I put us in this mess and I'll get us out."

"We both did it. We both put these people here. If you're so determined to die, then we'll both sacrifice ourselves. If we go down, then we go down together. Ok?"

Thomas nodded. I kissed his cheek and returned back to the Glade. Boys were hurrying every which way, preparing for night. Packs of food and medical supplies had to be handed out and weapons were to be made and distributed. I had helped Newt with the weapons all day, so I wandered around and supervised the Gladers. Many of them agreed to come, most likely clinging on to the hope that only one person would die.

When I got bored of watching everyone, I went off to find Chuck. He was sitting criss cross on his bed and looked up when I came in.

"So, Chuckie, how ya feeling?"

He shrugged and looked down at the floor. My heart ached for the kid who had seen more than he should've. "I don't know, Ellie. I'm scared."

I plopped down on Thomas' bed and patted his shoulder. "I know, little dude. I'm scared too. We're going to get you back to your family, okay? The world's in a pretty klunky shape right now, but I swear to you that I'm going to get you home. Would you feel better if you had a family?"

Chuck's face lit up and he nodded. I smiled and pointed at the door.

"Good, because you've got one. Consider Newt and I your parents. You have two brothers named Thomas and Minho, but you're the favorite child. You're my son now."

He giggled. I extended my arms and smiled as he hugged me tightly. I kissed his pudgy cheek. The hug wasn't long, but it was enough. On his way out the door, he turned and gave me a kiddish smile.

"Thanks. Love you, Mom."

I waved to him as he ran out the door and joined the Gladers. I sat on Thomas' bed for a few seconds before standing up and going to help the Gladers.

***

Night came quicker than I would've wanted. Newt and I met up by the West entrance to the maze. A couple Gladers shouted and pointed to the Map Room.

"What now?" Newt asked under his breath.

As we got closer, I saw the Map Room on fire. Orange flames licked across the roof of it and hazy gray-black smoke rose into the sky. I noticed a dark figure through the flames and grabbed Newt's arm in horror.

"Newt, that's Alby! He's in there!"

Newt squinted to where I was pointing until he saw it. His eyes doubled in size, but his arm curled around my waist and held me in place. Minho, not far from us, ran into the building. I reached over and squeezed Newt's hand so hard that his ring left an indent in my hand. The flames crackled and popped as they consumed the building. I released a breath I didn't realize I was holding when Minho emerged from the flames, carrying an unconscious Alby.

Minho coughed and retched into the grass. His tanned skin had black soot smudges and his clothes were singed, but he seemed to be alright. Clint and Jeff hurried over to Alby while some other Gladers put the fire out. Newt put his arm around my shoulders and said that Alby would be okay, but I wouldn't believe it until I saw it.

One of the Gladers separated himself from the crowd and advanced towards Newt and I. Once he got a foot from us, he angrily pointed at Thomas and Teresa.

"We need to sacrifice them! It's their fault that Alby is hurt and Gally is gone!" he shouted. His voice and finger shook from anger.

I pushed past the kid and moved towards the two newest additions. "If you want to get at them, you'll have to go through me," I warned, spreading my arms out and shielding the two with my body.

The kid seethed and stormed off. The fire had distracted us and wasted our time. The sound of approaching Grievers caught my attention. I exchanged a look with Newt and pushed Teresa towards him. He shielded her with his body while I protected Thomas.

Three Grievers entered the Glade. I refused to move away from Thomas. Newt stayed planted in front of Teresa. Unable to get at the four of us, the Grievers scanned the Glade with their evil red eyes. The Gladers either retreated to the Homestead or stayed to fight the robotic beasts and it was unlikely for the Grievers to pursue them. Spying the easiest prey, the Grievers advanced towards Alby.

If I moved to help Alby, I'd be putting Thomas at risk. As cruel as it sounds, we needed Thomas more than Alby. Every single atom in my body wanted to run to Alby as the Grievers ripped him apart. Every single one. Yet I didn't. I stayed by Thomas' side and watched in horror as my first friend, the person I spent a whole month alone with, fell victim to the Grievers.

The Grievers clicked and whirred almost happily as they dragged Alby's remains back into the maze. My eyes shone with tears as I stepped away from Thomas and crossed the grass to the wall where everyone carved their names. With a shaky hand, I crossed an X over Alby's name. Too many names had the same letter drawn over them. Too many.

A few feet away, a large splotch of crimson blood stained the Earth where Alby had laid. My feet carried me towards it so that I was crouching by the ugly stain. I had to slap a hand over my mouth to avoid vomiting. I saw something in the pool of blood and picked it up. It was Alby's necklace, the one he always wore.

I leaned in to get a closer look at it. There was a leather leaf-shaped pendant and a small feather hanging off a leather cord. It was broken in the back, severed where a Griever pierced Alby's skin. I bit my quivering lip and pressed the last bit of Alby to my chest, close to my heart.

The silhouettes of Thomas, Minho, Newt, and Teresa joined me around the large puddle of blood. Soon, the other Gladers joined in the mourning circle. We took a second to mourn for our friend, one we all loved and cared about.

I shoved the necklace in my pocket and turned to look at Thomas.

"Take us home, Tommy."