chapter fifteen

Another day went by in the Glade. It was klunkier than ever. There was still no sun, the box refused to go back down, Alby was acting off, Gally hadn't reappeared, and Minho was still adamant about doing our jobs as Runners. I returned from my long day of running through the maze and came face to face with Newt. He looked giddy and kept pacing back and forth.

"Hey, are you alright? How's your head?" I asked, placing my hands on my knees to catch my breath.

"Still hurts like a mother, but I'm okay. I need to talk to you though."

I nodded and followed him to our bedroom, one of the only empty places in the busy Glade. We both took seats on the beds, him on ours and me on Alby's. He cleared his throat and handed me a wad of papers. I laid them out across Alby's bedsheet and examined them.

They were the maps, cut up and lined up with each other. The more I stared at them, the more the message became clearer. The letters F, O, L, A, T, C, T, H, B, E, D, S, I, P, and U became visible. I lined them up in the orders of their dates and swore under my breath. The letters formed six words: Float, Catch, Bleed, Death, Stiff, and Push.

I looked up at Newt, bewildered. He had his arms crossed and raised his eyebrows.

"How-how did you figure this out?" I asked, shuffling the papers and handing the stack back to him.

"It was Tommy's idea. He brought it to me last night after you went to bed and we worked till morning. Those six words just keep repeating over and over. Have any bloody clue what it means?"

I shook my head and stood up. "Of course it was Tommy's idea. I'm going to find Chuck and then we can get loving time in before night falls, ok? You're doing great, love you."

A flash of a smile crossed his face before waving. I held up a peace sign and jogged out of the room. I found Chuck by the kitchen (big surprise there) and plopped down next to him.

"So, Chuckie, what have you been up to lately?" I asked.

His face brightened and I couldn't help but smile. "I've been doing little jobs that help prepare for the night. Newt says I've been more helpful than anyone else! In my spare time, I've been giving Teresa lovin when Thomas isn't here."

I chuckled and ruffled his hair. He was such a young kid. It was hard to believe the Creators sent somebody so young to us, but then again, we were all kids. Most of us were between the ages of 15 and 19. The thought made me sad, but I pushed it away and kept up a cheerful conversation with my best friend.

"Alright, you little slug, I promised Newt I'd give him some lovin before I headed to the Slammer. Go annoy Thomas for me, will you?"

He nodded enthusiastically and ran off towards the other boy. I laughed and returned to Newt. Luckily, nobody walked in on us during our loving time. It had happened too many times in the Glade and each time, it was awkward and embarrassing. Newt looked extra regretful as we walked arm-in-arm to the Slammer.

"Keep our sons safe," I said as he unlocked the doors.

He paused and furrowed his eyebrows. "Sons?"

I giggled and hopped down in the pit. Teresa would be here with Thomas any minute. "Yes, sons. We adopted Thomas, Minho, and Chuck. God, you're a shuck awful father."

Newt laughed, pecked my cheek, and waited at the end of the Slammer for Teresa. She came not long after and climbed down next to me. Newt and I locked eyes right before the doors shut for the night. He gave me a subtle nod before the metal doors slammed shut and enveloped us in darkness.

The night went by fairly quickly. Teresa and I cuddled up next to each other again, neither of us saying a word as we fell asleep. The Grievers had retrieved yet another kid, this time they got Zart. His death disappointed me. We had been friends back when I worked in the garden. Newt came to retrieve us before letting me go back out into the maze.