chapter twelve

What did it all mean? I sighed and parted ways with Thomas and Newt. Newt was heading back to work and Thomas was going back to bed. I was going to sort things out in the forest and make some sense of Alby's words. Newt found me sitting on the leaves, staring fixedly at a tree trunk. He sat down in front of me, but I didn't take much notice.

"Is it true?" Newt asked quietly as I twirled a piece of grass in between my fingers.

"Is what true?"

"Is it true that you love me?"

My eyebrows shot up in surprise. Telling Newt that I loved him seemed to have happened years ago. Obviously, it was true and I told him that. Leaning forward so that his hands were on either side of my thighs, he bent forward to kiss me.

"I love you too, princess. Now that you're awake, wanna come visit that bloody girl with me?"

I shook my head and laid back against the soft leaves. "Nope. I've had enough for a day or two without worrying about that bugging girl. I wanna talk to Thomas instead."

Newt sighed and helped me up. We found him sitting up on his bed, rubbing his eyes. Newt and I both sat down on either side of his bed.

"I want you to be with me for the rest of the day. Tomorrow, Ellie and I will lock you in the Slammer. After that, Minho and Ellie will train you to be a Runner-"

Thomas cut Newt off with, you guessed it, a question. "Wait why are you training me Ellie?"

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest. "Now that Alby is out, I can finally do my job again. If you didn't know, I'm Keeper of the Runners. Today, Newt wants you to work with him. Now shut your trap and listen to what we have to say."

Thomas looked hurt for a moment, but didn't object. Newt sighed and told him that he needed to accept something.

"Yeah. The girl said it, Alby said it, Ben said it, even Gally said it. Gally, Ben, Alby, and I all saw you during the Changing. Whether you like it or not, things are going to change," I prompted.

"I don't remember anything!" Thomas burst out.

"We know, Thomas! We know you don't remember anything! None of us remember anything, so quit bloody reminding us. There's something different about you and it's high time we figure out what," Newt snapped.

Thomas rolled his eyes and asked how. Newt told him to talk. Thomas recalled that when he arrived, he felt a sense of familiarity instead of the usual terror. He included that he felt like he knew the place and he knew he wanted to be a Runner. Newt and I shared matching looks of concern.

"Alright well, keep looking. Delve into that brain of yours and try to remember something. Spend your free time wanderin' your thoughts. Strain your mind. Listen, Thomas, because I'm not going to repeat myself. Do not go near that bloody girl without me or Ellie, ok? Understood?" Newt asked.

He gulped and nodded. I smiled at him and followed Newt out of the bedroom.

"You should be the leader," I suggested quietly, wrapping my arm around his waist.

"That's your job. You're the best there is for a leader. I'm just the poor schmuck who has to step up when you're out in the maze."

I laughed and messed up his hair. "Yeah well, I'll miss you when I go back. I'm excited to be back though. Being a Runner makes me feel important, like I'm actually contributing to the Glade."

Newt laughed and kissed my cheek. "You're adorable El. Truly. Try not to get eaten by Grievers, ok?"

"Gee, I don't know bub. Maybe eaten by massive robots would be a good story."