Getting away.

Zak POV

I love Vegas, I always have. From it's bright lights, tourism and conservation areas of Red Rock, there was something for everyone.. They say New York is the city that never sleeps, and I think Vegas is exactly the same. 

But as I drive towards California towards our little family vacation, I can't help but feel relieved and excited. I know in my heart that this is the best idea for us right now and can't stop the smile that pulls on my face. 

"Hmm." Maria hums laying her hand on my thigh. "What has gotten you so happy?"

"A break, with the people I love and being near the sea." I answer, glancing over quickly. 

I spot the dark circles under her eyes as well as the darkness that sits behind her pupils. It makes my mood dampen slightly, but I keep my smile fixed and lay my hand over the top of hers. Whilst I think that it's a good idea that we are getting away, I can only hope that its the right one. 

Looking in the rear view mirror, I spot Theo with his tablet balanced on his knees watching his TV show, obsessed with the cartoon superhero dogs. Gracie was beside him, curled up and asleep, thankfully not being sick, although I will have to factor in a pit stop to let her stretch her legs.

"So.." I begin looking at Maria again. "What do you want to do?"

She tilts her head. "We can play I spy..."

I laugh "I mean workwise."

"Oh. Well I haven't worked that bit out yet. I need something that is flexible, something that can fit around Bubz and you."

"You know.." I begin. "I'm always looking for staff at the museum."

She mulls it over. "That isn't a bad call. Although what if someone finds out?"

"About?"

"Us.." She answers looking back at Theo. "It's been four years and nobody knows we exist, apart from the crew, close friends and your mom. My parent's aren't included obviously. They are over seas."

"Does that bother you?" I ask worried that maybe I was part of this problem. Had I made her feel insignificant? 

"No. No I prefer it. Especially with your fans... No offence."

I smile slightly. 

"You have some lovely, lovely fans. But there's a few bad acorns, Aaron has mentioned some in the past... I also read the one in your book. The whole restraining order against that guy.. Yikes. No,  I'm happy that we are, I wouldn't say kept a secret, that seems dirty..."

"Protected?"

Maria smiles "Yeah, yeah I guess you could say that."

"So, we don't have to rule out the museum entirely, there's many different things I could have you doing."

 "I won't say no, but that isn't a yes too. I just, I don't know how to explain it." She answers, almost sounding defeated. 

"Come on, talk to me.."

"I don't want to be a kept woman, but won't I kind of be one if I work for you?"

"No, because you would be working. You'd be earning that money."

"Hmm, guess you're right. We can stick that on a maybe pile." She responds, giving my thigh a squeeze.

"You do that."

I'd like to think it was as easy as that, but I know it isn't. She wants independence, a life away from me and Theo. Like I have when I am working. There's Work Zak and Home Zak. Two very different contrasts, and who am I to say that Maria can't have that too?