A loss in a family echoes deep.

My husband has an uncanny ability to not only investigate ghosts, but to also disappear like one.

After many hours searching for crabs in their little rock pools, we head back to the cottage seeing that the tide had been slowly creeping up the sand. In that time I had tried Zak's phone countless amounts of time and got the same stupid answer phone message.

So when the door knocked, I hoped that it had been him, back with information or news about his whereabouts.

"Hello." I answer, surprised to see a woman on the otherside.

"Hello. I'm Julie, Brians wife."

"Oh, it's nice to meet you. I'm Maria." I reply as Theo slides past. "And this is my son, Theo."

"Hello." He smiles at her before turning to me. "Where is daddy?"

I simply smile, beccause I still don't know the answer to that question myself. "He will be back soon. Go watch your show."

He bounds off, leaving me to look at Julie, who is beaming. "Sorry, how can I help?" I ask.

"Oh, it's nothing much, but I was wondering if you'd like to come and see the house? Zak stopped by earlier and expressed some interest when I showed him around, he mentioned you'd been curious about the fire."

I keep a neutral expression and nod. "I was, yes. Brian never explained what caused it. Curiosity got the better of me. It's a shame when an aged building gets ruined."

"Well, come on up and I'll give you the grand tour."

Pinching a smile, I try to find a reason as to why I can't, mainly for my own sanity, but when I rethink of what she has said and how Zak has been to the house, I decide against it. "You know what, why not. Let me get Gracie settled and I'll come up with Theo."

"Wonderful!" She claps. Her brown hair bouncing at the movement.

***

"Wooooaaahh.." Theo gasps as we walk up the house. "Mummy is this our new home?"

I shake my head. "No darling, we are only visiting. Remember what I said?"

He nods. "No running and to go careful."

Reaching down, I ruffle his hair. "That's my clever boy."

The house shows no sign of a brighter life, it's dark looming presence makes it difficult for me think of it in a lighter life. The structure is mixed with new and old, the hints of restoration only showing by the slight shift in the stone colour.

As we approach the weathered wooden doors, they open and Julie steps out, smile still wide on her face. "Hello, hello. Come on in." She waves.

Grinning, Theo runs up the stones steps and whilst I trail behind, feeling the knots in my stomach and wondering if it's my conscious telling me that its a bad idea.

I'm plesantly surprised when I walk in at the condition of the building. I had expected bare or white walls, with minimal decorations and a slightly cold feel to it.

However I was greeted with wooden floors and wall panelling, warm ambient lighting with a red runner carpet running throughout the home and up the stairs.

"Oh wow."

"Sure is something, huh? We've come far." Julie smiles looking around at her home.

There is furniture dotted throughout the reception area, from side tables to chairs and display cases. Whether its the homely features that have been displayed or the sembalance of life that has been set up here, I feel my tension ease and I look over to Theo who is staring at a large display case of photos.