The Steeles

"You okay?" Zak whispers making me open my eyes slowly to him and the library.

"Does this remind you of Heaven?"

He looks around taking it all in before a mischievous smirk comes across his face. "Doesn't look like our bedroom..."

My lips curl and I swat him playfully before resting my head on his shoulder, staring up at the old shelves.

The library was expansive, with tall oak shelves, filled with books, showered in a golden light that flooded through from outside.

The large window must have some kind of coating on to protect the books from the sunlight, and whatever it was blessed the whole library in a golden glow.

"I'm glad you're here." Zak mumbles, kissing my head.

"Me too.. I wonder what the historian has for us."

Checking his watch, Zak sighs. "I have a feeling he's or she going to have more than we think."

"What's their name?"

"Charlie."

"Ah, non binary.." I say mainly to myself.

"Uh huh, which makes picking them out a little harder, because there's a woman over there, man there and a group of people there.."

"Give it time. Enjoy the glimpse of Heaven."

I'm lulled into a state of calm with Zak's large hand rubbing my back, when a man approaches the table.

"Zak, Maria." He nods.

We both shoot to our feet and extend our hands before pulling back and offering an elbow.

Charlie the historian laughs. "Different times, huh?"

Myself and Zak both agree as he bumps our elbows with his and sits down holding a large file.

"This is my wife, Maria." Zak says looking at Charlie who has yet to take his eyes off me, even going as far as frowning slightly and tilting his head.

I look at Zak quickly as he double takes between us, my eyes picking up on the slight jealousy vibes that my husband holds. Laying my hand on his knee, I give him a reassuring smile before looking back to Charlie.

He snaps out of his moment and quickly apologises. "Excuse me, sorry. You're just awfully familiar. Especially to this case."

"Which is why we are here.." Zak answers laying his hand on top of mine.

"Of course. Of course."

"So, Charlie.. What got you into all this?" I ask.

Charlie can't be much more than thirty, with straight brown hair, combed to the side and slight stubble around his chin.

He's dressed in corded pants with a white shirt, a tan jacket with smart shoes. The clothes themselves age him, but he seems quiet comfortable in them, suggesting that he wears them often.

Not jeans, sneakers and a short sleeve shirt like my husband sat beside me.

"I grew up in the area and convinced myself at a young ages that pirates came through here.. I spent all my time here as a child trying to find proof as well as research the history of the area. I finally have that proof but that is another conversation. Now I hear you're interested in the Steele family."

Zak nods.

"The house too." I add.

"Of course, the history of the pair is entwined. I'll start with the house... The first known photo of the house dates around 1860, however using maps, I've dated the build to almost 1830." Charlie says pushing a copy of the map across the table. "As you can see the area is marked as residence, which means home or homes were on that plot of land at the time of this map being created."